The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Horse losing weight (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/horse-losing-weight-77468/)

DubyaS6 02-01-2011 06:10 PM

Horse losing weight

Decided to post this here in this section to maybe get some more help.

Link to original thread:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-ridi...-needed-77437/

My horse has lost a significant amount of weight in the last 5 weeks.

I am going to worm her this week just to make sure, although she was wormed 7 1/2 weeks ago as well.

This is her current diet:

*Free choice coastal hay during the day
*1.5 (3qt scoop) scoops of Heritage 14% pellets (see original thread for more info on this feed) in the morning and again at night
*2 flakes coastal hay at night

I am thinking of switching to this:

*Still free choice coastal hay during the day
*9 qts (does this equate to 3lbs?) alfalfa pellets/day
*2 cups flax seed (Omega Horseshine??)/day
*Vitamin supplement (GrandVite??)/day
*Veggie oil (how much of this??)/day
*2 flakes coastal hay at night??

Can someone give me a little advice on this?

Thanks!

Rachel1786 02-01-2011 06:35 PM

Maybe add some beet pulp or rice bran to her feed, Peggysue has been very very helpful with adjusting my senior geldings feeding plan, she suggested feeding triple crown, (i'm currently feeding Purina)but i don't know the quality of Heritage feed, so that may be fine...hopefully she will come on here and give you a few tips :-)

Production Acres 02-02-2011 09:11 AM

#1 feed ingredient is hay.

If you don't know the quality of that ingredient, all the money spent on the other ingredients is wasted.

luvs2ride1979 02-02-2011 01:27 PM

You won't need oil with the flaxmeal. You can feed 1 cup per-feeding with no problems. 1 cup of flax is about 4 oz by weight. Flax is a better source of fat than rice bran or oil. It's more easily digested than oil and has healthy Omega 3s, which Rice Bran does not (only small amounts).

3 qts of Alfalfa pellets usually weighs in at about 3.5 lbs, at least with mine. Okay, I just weighed a full 3qt scoop of my pellets and it's 3 lbs and 4 oz. So, 3 scoops would be 9 lbs 13 oz. That's too much at one feeding. I'd go with 1.5 scoops per-feeding.

Grandvite is a good one. Horsetech.com makes a good one called High Point. They have good flax too. All of their web site prices include shipping charges.

I like your diet. It looks a lot like mine ;-). The only thing I would add is a digestive aid to one of the feedings, like Fastrack or similar. That will make sure he's digesting all of the feed properly.

Once he's up to weight, you can cut the flax to 1/2 to 1 cup a day, alfalfa pellets to 1/2 to 1 scoop a day, and eliminate the probiotic/digestive supplement. He would only need more if he's a "hard keeper" and he's being worked hard.

DubyaS6 02-02-2011 01:29 PM

Thank you sooo much for the advice!

I really appreciate this!

DrumRunner 02-02-2011 01:54 PM

I wouldn't do the oil. I did then found out that it was bad for my horse..I would keep giving the free choice hay and get a high fat high protein feed. The potein helps build muscle too.. Last winter my mare lost alot of weight right after I got her. I gave her beet pulp, Omolene 200, and Safe Choice. That boosted her up pretty quick and now I have her on Omolene 200 and Safe Choice. They are both really good feeds. You could also get the Farnam Weight Builder. I have my mare on it because she is loses weight in the winter even with all the hay she wants and feed but it is good stuff. I've had her on it about a month and she has gained a good bit of weight. Hope this helped!