The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Trainers & Barn owners! - E-mail or phone call? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/trainers-barn-owners-e-mail-phone-77470/)

Lonannuniel 02-01-2011 05:29 PM

Trainers & Barn owners! - E-mail or phone call?

I am a huge anti-phone call type of person, so i am trying despritly to find a trainer without making many phone calls, on top of that, i am also looking for a job, anywho...

When looking for a trainer / asking weather there is a job opening at a stables ( not the actual asking for a job part, if that makes sense ), would you ( as a trainer or barn owner) prefer to get an e-mail, or a phone call?

Ray MacDonald 02-01-2011 07:10 PM

Personally I hate phone calls too LOL. I would much prefer e-mail. And if the barn owner or trainer weren't home, they may or may not have an answering machine.

Reiterin 02-01-2011 08:24 PM

agreed. I cannot, and will not talk on the phone. =P I hate them!

I suppose it depends on the person though. Some people live on their phones.. I think they've had them surgically attached actually. ;)

People tend to forgive you though, if they know you don't like to talk on the phone. (at least that's what I've noticed for myself.)

Ray MacDonald 02-01-2011 08:41 PM

Isn't that annoying? Like they would die if they didn't have it lol.

kitten_Val 02-01-2011 09:14 PM

Yeah, me too... I much rather prefer email. However too often the phone call is a better way to go (as lots of farm people I know don't use email regularly).

Saskia 02-01-2011 09:37 PM

I personally prefer email for communications but in a business context phone calls are so much more practical. Its much quicker to answer questions and give information on a phone compared to email. Things can also be clarified.

E,ails are great for established relationships but a phone call is far more acceptable for finding a barn/trainer etc.

JustDressageIt 02-01-2011 09:45 PM

I personally would prefer a phone call. I can deal with you right then and there, and answer your questions without 50 million emails back and forth. [When I'm not injured] I have a life outside of the computer, and I'm not online very much at all. Secondly, I have a memory like a steel sieve. I might open your email late one night, plan to email back first thing the next morning, and forget all about it. Due to that stupid memory thing, I come across as a bit of an arse. I also find there are much fewer tire-kickers with phone calls than email.

Alwaysbehind 02-02-2011 07:43 AM

I too am one who does not like making phone calls. I actually have to write down everything I need to discuss so the stress of the call does not make me forget things.

Since you are not just looking for a new trainer you are looking for a trainer with a job opportunity I think you have to look at this as if you are applying for a job.

I would call and ask if the trainer has any job opportunities and if they are open to the idea ask to set up a time for you to visit the barn and discuss it further.

If you do decide to send an email instead of call, be sure it includes proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. No text speak, etc.

mls 02-02-2011 09:26 AM

I prefer e-mails - WITH the phone number provided.

E-mails are not intrusive. They can be answered any time of the day or night. I stopped taking my phone out to the barn with me. If I am working, teaching, riding, training, etc - I am able to devote my attention to the horse I am working with.

Word of advice - do not send generic and or mass e-mails when looking for a job. It's tacky and as the potential employer, trainer, BO I am wondering if you really care about a response.