The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Anyone 'For' Parelli?? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/anyone-parelli-77575/)

brookelovesparelli 02-02-2011 07:56 PM

Anyone 'For' Parelli??

Looking for people who are into Parelli.

If you do parelli let us know what level your working on, about your horse, what got you into parelli etc. have you been to any parelli clinics? And anything else you what to share.I want this thread to NOT be a parelli bashing thread if your not into it don't comment. :lol: If you are i'd like to hear from you and im sure others would to.

I'll start:

My names Brooke, im 15 I have one horse, Abbi. She's an australian stock horse type, 12 yr's old. Abbi was pretty dominant and pushy when i got her but she's alot better now.

I went to the celibration in Australia in Sydney i think it was march 09, and thats what really got me into parelli.

Abbi and I are currently just playing around with lots of ground work and some riding with her just playing with different obsticals, jumps, tarps, bending poles and barrels etc.

Hope to here from some parelli enthusiasts. :D

GreenTreeFrog 02-04-2011 06:01 PM

I have just started with horses and like the Parelli Program because for someone like me who knows nothing, it is presented well and I am getting excellent results between myself and my horse.

I like structure and routine, I raised my kids on Gina Ford's Contented Baby books! Now there is a contentious issue for ya!!

TheLovedOne 02-06-2011 08:38 PM

First I think Pat Parelli's program is an excellent learning material. It's the best I've seen so far because pretty much anyone can learn it if they want to and there is a huge emphasis on not boring, abusing or otherwise torturing your horse. The program puts a very good foundation on the horse for a trainer and gets them prepared for any finishing work. I am not a professional because I refuse to take money when I help people out. I've coached, mentored, and trained other people's horses and having said that there are probably 50 so called professionals here that will take your money but only 3 that are worth hiring. In fact, of the so called professionals most of them could benefit hugely by actually studying Pat's program before they start bashing it. Parelli is just good horsemanship and yes there are other horseman out there that are also good like Cinton Anderson, Stacey Westfall, John Lyons, and I could probably name more.

Oh yes although I still look young I'm not and I have been riding for over 40 years and have been breaking/starting horses for 30 years... so that's my two cents worth :-)

TheLovedOne 02-06-2011 09:58 PM

Brooke it's nice to meet you. Just because you're young doesn't mean that your not good and just because you're an amateur doesn't mean that you're a beginner. That's probably what you mean - that you're not a beginner but who cares what does that matter.... sheesh

I've got quite a few horses so I'll list say three:

Quarter horse foundation type LBI with RBE tendencies. She's gorgeous stocky horse and will end up being a nice riding horse for my hubby.

Appaloosa/Mustang cross who is LBE with RBE tendencies. She is so pretty with all her stripes and also has a dorsal stripe. She's got some real interesting color. She has been so fun to start and is progressing very well. She's got some pretty good movement.

Hanoverian who is pretty stunning bay with lots of chrome. The most challenging horse I own extreme LBI and extreme RBI but is really all over the map. He would probably a very excellent hunter as he's got the looks and has great form over the fences. But I like dressage and so that's pretty much what we do but we do it naturally.

BTW the Parelli program is for beginners, the experienced, the professional, and for the performance athlete: it is a program that has many types of people not just focused on beginners.

Rachel1786 02-06-2011 10:26 PM

A friend of mine gave me her level 1 and 2 parelli dvd's, i watched a little bit on disk one, but it was mostly just Linda talking about using the carrot stick and string, then i got really busy and i haven't had time to finish watching them, I'm planning to come spring so i can put what i learn to good use.
A little about me, I'm 25, i got my first 2 horses(Blue and Tiffany) when i was 12,which is basically when i started riding,They were sold to us as 15-16 years old, but ended up they were 20-25 , Tiffany was put down about 6-7 years ago, she had a large abdominal tumor, and Blue is still going strong at 33-38, we do light bareback rides around the pasture, he taught me everything i know, he's a great horse, he's very barn/ring and buddy sour, but at his age we don't even ride out of the pasture anymore. a few months before we lost Tiffany i was given a horse named Skip, he would have benefited from parelli, he's a crazy bucker/rearer/bolter, i had him for 2 years, i gave him to a friend who could have a trainer work with her, then she gave him away again and i thought the worst until a few weeks ago when i found him at the place i just started taking lessons at...
Back in the end of may i rescued an OTTB Bella(Alyrunj is her registered name), she will be 14 in june, she is a great horse, but she does seem to have some issues(cow kicking when you are on her and she doesn't want to move).
My last horse is Legacy, he is a leopard appy in his late teens-20's, also a rescue, he's a huge chicken, terribly ear shy, will rear and strike when he gets scared(TERRIFIED OF THE CARROT STICK) and does not trust anyone behind his flank, having his feet done the first time was interesting, although he's better now, we tried to have a massage done on him because he is horribly tight and all the could do was his face, a little on his neck, shoulders and chest...he will be the one i really work with parelli on, it would really help if i had a history on him lol Sorry this is so long, i tend to ramble late at night when i'm tired lol, it's really nice to meet you all, i see a lot of bashing going on about parelli so i'm always a bit hesitant to ask questions in regards to his methods

TheLovedOne 02-07-2011 11:54 AM

Hi Rachel nice to meet you. Cow kicking when you're on her now that's talent :-)
Do you ground drive her before riding? Your appy sounds like a typical victim of abuse. Sometimes just giving them time to observe you really helps and not doing much of anything for a while. Remember to do lots of approach and retreat.

It sounds like you've got the old levels DVD. The newer ones are, well I don't know if better is the right word they are different. The old ones are harder to get through because it's kind of boring and takes forever to watch. But if you have no experience with horses I think they are good because it's broken down into such detail that someone can learn from it. The new DVDs are a little faster in teaching the material and I think for most people it's better.

It sounds like you've got a few horses to keep you entertained!

christopher 02-11-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLovedOne (Post 919816)
Remember to do lots of approach and retreat.

this is something i've always wondered when i hear a parelli say this, do you all know exactly when to approach and when to retreat? or are you just doing it at regular intervals?

because unless your "approaching" when your horse is "retreating", and your "retreating" when your horse is "approaching" (applies to everything when it comes to horses, it's the theory of pressure/release also known as negative reinforcment) there is no point at all and your creating unconfidence in the horse.

Marecare 02-13-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher (Post 925310)
this is something i've always wondered when i hear a parelli say this, do you all know exactly when to approach and when to retreat? or are you just doing it at regular intervals?

because unless your "approaching" when your horse is "retreating", and your "retreating" when your horse is "approaching" (applies to everything when it comes to horses, it's the theory of pressure/release also known as negative reinforcment) there is no point at all and your creating unconfidence in the horse.

Christopher,
Stop talking about timing ,balance,and feel!

Just let them follow the step by step thing until their horse hates the sight of them...Ha!

apachiedragon 02-13-2011 12:38 PM

It will never cease to amaze me how to some, a lack of respect and training equates to the horse had to be abused at some point.

I think just like any other program, there are a few good tidbits that are worth learning, but it is not the "end all be all" of horse learning. And though it may work with some horses, it certainly won't work with all.

Sarahandlola 02-13-2011 12:59 PM

I would love to try it but I cannot afford to pay it...

I tried the friendly game on my mare and she was doing good until I got to her udders...Lets just say I will not be attempting to touch there again XD