The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

9 month old colt with diarrhea!!

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mbender 
#1 ·
My colt Cloud has diarrhea for the firt time. It started either last night or this morning. I feed him timothy grass and alfalfa hay. He's always been fine but recentlly the timothy grass has been junk at are feed store so i've only been buying the alfalfa. He has been on an all alfalfa diet for about 1 and a half weeks. 3 days ago I went to a different feed store and asked for 2 bails of grass hay. I'm so stupid I didn't ask what kind it was. Its longer strands than the timothy and a little darker. I was feeding him grass in the morning and afternoon and alfalfa at night. Can just changing grass hay give them diarrhea? I know grain and sweet feed is more of a major change but I didn't think you had to worry about hay and grass... the grass does not seem bad or moldy. my mare is also eating it and she's fine. I called the vet tonight. He asked about his apitite and i said its good. he said to make sure he's getting plenty of water. he said vasalene will help him from getting scullded from the diarrhea and if i clean him and put vacsalene on his but and down his legs he won't lose his hair. He also said i can buy keopectate for horses. He said give it 3 days and see but to make sure he's eating and drinking. Is there anything else i should do or worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.