The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Blue eye? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/blue-eye-77637/)

down2earth1928 02-03-2011 03:48 PM

Blue eye?

I have 2 stud paint horse and trying to decide which to geld and which to leave a stud.One of them has one blue eye which I like.How often is the blue eye passed to the colts.I love blue eyed paints and would like to get them in my stock.any info would be greatly appreciated.thanks

lilruffian 02-03-2011 03:57 PM

Im not too sure how often it is passed on.
My aunt bred Paint horses for years & they had one APHA mare who had only one blue eye that was bred to a paint with no blue eyes & the resulting foal had 2 blue eyes.
On the flip side, however, there were 4 other mares with either one blue eye or both who never threw a foal with blue eyes.

I think your best bet would be to breed to mares with blue eyes to the blue eyed stud. This way you may have a better chance of getting what you want ;)

Just out of curiosity, do you have pics of the 2 horses?

down2earth1928 02-03-2011 04:38 PM

yea the eye color may come more from the mare.Im not sure.

Chiilaa 02-03-2011 07:06 PM

Eye colour in horses doesn't appear to be separate genes. It's related to the colour, blue eyes are usually caused by frame or splash white, or double dilutes. If your boys are both paints, they need to be tested for a few things before you consider what they can possibly pass on to their offspring. First off they need to be tested for LWO which is the frame gene. A foal with two frame genes is a baby that is going to die a few days after birth, so it is important to know if the stallion carries it. You also need to test for HYPP and HERDA which are both pretty horrible disorders.

What bloodlines do your stallions have? What are their accomplishments? What is their conformation like? These are the first things you should ask yourself before deciding to keep or cut each one. Colour should always be a bonus when breeding, not the sole object. The primary object should be to produce offspring better than the parents.

down2earth1928 02-03-2011 07:37 PM

well,they are 8 months old.Both the dams and sire are great looking horses.As far as acomplishments,We raise trail horses.I agree with wanting a good bloodline but on another hand i bought a horse with easyjet on the sire side and it was the craziest horse I ever seen.Since then I prefer to go by the temperment of the parents.Around here people want good trail horses that are bomb proof.Both studs are going to produce this but if I can have a plus of getting blue eyes I would like to do so.

Chiilaa 02-03-2011 11:26 PM

Breeding does NOT produce a horses temperament. Certain lines may be linked to a predisposition to have a calmer attitude but even that is debatable. Temperament is produced by good training. Sure, people around there might want good trail horses. But good trail horses are a dime a dozen, and while you can't ride papers, they are still important. Technically your horses aren't even 'Paint' without papers, they are just pinto grades.

down2earth1928 02-04-2011 07:45 AM

There must have been a misunderstanding.All of my horses are APHA or AQHA.I wasnt saying papers and bloodline doesnt matter to me.I was just saying that just because the bloodline has a famous horse in it doesnt mean your going to get a great horse.I raise APHA trail horses and have found if poth parents have a good temperment it does help,some because the dam lets you have more hands on with the colt early which I find makes a better horse when grown.I have owned a few unregistered horses in the past that were great horses and i have owned a few registered horses is the past that wasnt worth $50.00.

Chiilaa 02-04-2011 09:26 AM

Oh sorry. Went off a bit half cocked there. If both colts are of equal quality, and are both worthy of being kept whole, then sure, go for the colour. Just make sure you test him for frame first, because blue eyes can be caused by frame.

Also, don't get me wrong. I have no problem with unregistered horses. They are pretty awesome. I just have a problem with people breeding from grades.

down2earth1928 02-04-2011 10:10 AM

I agree,I know they need to be checked first.Just dont know much on blue eyes.Mainly trying to find out if normaly the blue eyes pass from the stud.I believe its just something that some have because neither his dam or sire has blue eyes.

NdAppy 02-04-2011 11:21 AM

Just like with any color pattern, whether the blue eye is passed to foals is a crap shoot. Blue eyes are from white patterns (i.e. splash, frame and others).