The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this safe?

8K views 78 replies 32 participants last post by  Azale1 
#1 ·
I have 3 horses 2 are ours and 1 we are holding for a neighbor. the neighbors horse and our quarter horse like to nip at eachothers halters. They seem to do it everyday but im not sure if its safe? Sometimes they go as far as to bucking and kicking at eachother? Im not sure if this is safe and we should seperate them for a while because they have been in the same pasture for about 3 months now? There really sweet when we take them out but when i put them back in and feed them together there at it again?

#70 ·
I found out today that the "dreaded" nylon halters actually do break... Mitchell got a fright for whatever reason, pulled back, snapped the bailing twine and took his halter, lead rope, saddle and everything with him (except the bridle I had already taken that off) I went out to catch him again, thankfully he doesn't run far from "mummy" when he gets a fright.. But on catching him I found he had completely shredded the head strap of his halter, the steel eye thingy you clip it onto had ripped all the way down the head piece and come off the halter entirely. There goes that brand new stinkin expensive halter... But ohwell he's still in one piece and so am I.

#71 ·
There is two sides to leaving them on.
Personally i take most off except for the brats who know they can run faster and longer then me however there in cheap leather which will snap.
I also had escape houdinis that broke my heart and getting in the gate was an experience ( that was where they were breaking out). We ran electric fencing all round the firled including just in fron of the gate and bolted and chained the gate. However these guys were far from the road.
I would never leave anything on a horse that can be seen from the road as ti makes them easier to rob if they just need to be grabbed.
Ray as regards them getting out keep a bucket of gravel near by and when you shake it sounds like feed they come running.

#73 ·
Always - in my experience, when a horse scared and/or running and they see a rope coming at them...it will usually send them running again. I have caught one by slipping a rope over him but, he is probably the "stupidest" horse. And by that I mean he doesn't really act on regular horse behavior. On another note, if a rope is around the neck and a horse decides to run again, that horse can find it easy to run through that and get loose again whereas a halter, you have control of their head. These are just my experiences.
Posted via Mobile Device

#74 ·
Always - in my experience, when a horse scared and/or running and they see a rope coming at them...it will usually send them running again. I have caught one by slipping a rope over him but, he is probably the "stupidest" horse. And by that I mean he doesn't really act on regular horse behavior. On another note, if a rope is around the neck and a horse decides to run again, that horse can find it easy to run through that and get loose again whereas a halter, you have control of their head. These are just my experiences.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am not suggesting you toss a rope like you are trying to lasso the poor thing.

If you can get close enough to grab a halter, you are close enough to slip a rope quietly around their neck and put a halter on while you have them contained with the rope around their neck.

If they are spooking enough that the rope draped over their neck is not working you are most likely getting your fingers broken because you certainly have not been able to get the lead rope attached either, so your unsafe holding the halter in your hand.

There is no perfect answer. I have chased many a loose horse in my life (been around a long time). Having on or not having on a halter has not been the issue when it comes to catching them.

#75 ·
I have a pony who used to be impossible to catch (he's still difficult, but much, MUCH better than he was).

The first time we caught him after 3 months of trying was because he busted out of the paddock and we blocked him in a small area that he couldn't get out of. After that I put a nylon halter on him before I turned him out again.

At that stage I didn't have a smaller yard to put him in so he had to go back out in the big paddock. I can tell you from experience that it was no easier to catch him with that halter on then it was without it. When we finally caught him again the halter was removed and has not been left on him since.

Oh and as far as when he busts out of his yard, which he does do on occasion, we can catch him relatively easily because I have spent hours working on getting him to LET me catch him, no matter where he is.

#77 ·
I won't deny that ricci I am saying if it is loose and you can get close enough but do not have time to look around for a lead. There is no indefinate answer and none of you will get me to take the halters off in turnout. Works for me/my barn and they'll still wear em
Posted via Mobile Device

#78 ·
OP: I noticed you have not said anything since your original post. As far as the "fighting" goes I would try to separate them at feedings and if feeding hay throw an extra flake. We just introduced a 4th horse to the pasture at the barn where I keep my horse and we feed hay. at first the new horse and my horse did not get along at all after about 2 mins my horse was removed and the other 3 got along fine. I went out the next day and introduced the new horse and mine again. There was kicking and biting and pinning of ears and some fence rattling but no one got hurt. I watched them the whole time, no halters, when things settled down I let the other 2 horses in with them. My horse still chased the Filly when she came close and challenged his position in the hierarchy. when Things had settled to a level where I was comfortable they would not injure each other I fed them. Each got a flake of hay separated by a few yards and because my gelding kept chasing her off I walked another flake to the far end of the pasture where my gelding would let her eat. It has been about a week and the fighting has stopped and they can be fed near each other now (I always separate feed by a few yards. If they are on special diets I would separate them completely for feeding. If they are just playing I would leave them be, they won't usually injure each other too bad if they are just playing.

As far as the halter issue. I prefer my horse not to wear one when not necessary but if you feel the need to leave them on I hope they break under stress becouse they can be dangerous if they don't. Please let us know how things are going. I would love to know what has worked for you for this problem.

#79 ·
As far as I am concerned there are safe halters to be put to pasture in and unsafe halters. The safe ones are full leather or a breakaway where most is nylon and the crownpiece is leather. These halters are made to break. I don't see a problem with horses going out in them and I actually prefer it. And if it trully was unsafe then I highly doubt that the breeding farm I worked at in KY that boarded multi million dollar mares would keep thier halters on in pasture if there really was a worry of something happening to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.