The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   BO with Awesome Boarders (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/bo-awesome-boarders-77831/)

Brookside Stables 02-06-2011 04:18 AM

BO with Awesome Boarders

I just wanted to say how wonderful my boarders are. I have only been open a year. In that time I have had only 1 problem boarder. Everyone else has been excellent to deal with.

Just last week I had a boarder's horse injury itself in its pen. In the boarding contract I have the right to notify a vet to seek treatment at the Owner's expense. The vet was at the stable in 10 minutes (their office is less then a mile away) and stapled the wound shut, gave plenty of injections and went on his way. In the mean time I had left a voicemail with the owner letting them know what was going on, I even sent them a picture by phone. The owner called after awhile and thanked me for taking care of her horse. The vet called a few days later asking about the horse and made a comment that the bill was already paid. She checked on her horse this weekend when she was home from school and said everything looked great and thanked me again.

I have had several clients in the past year who came for 1-2 months just to get ride time on their horses in the indoor arena whether for trail riding or for showing. All those clients plus their friends have already made arrangements to return this year.

I am definitely blessed with awesome boarders!

leonalee 02-07-2011 02:54 PM

Yay!

Aw - congratulations! It is always exciting and makes our jobs easier to have boarders who are awesome and courteous! In the 10ish years we have owned our barn, we've only had a handful of "bad eggs" (though they have been doozies)... but we are very lucky to have the awesome group we have now! I think the more kind, caring, and up-front the barn owners are, the better the model set for interaction with one another, you know?

Maverick101 02-10-2011 11:27 PM

Glad to hear that Brookside!

I too, am blessed w awesome boarders I have had my stable up and running just going on 6 yrs. I have had awesome boarders from the start....
Now I'm a very good judge of character (sometimes its a curse!), and I have outright not allowed certain people to bring their horses, as I know it would have just caused drama, just the vibe you get ya know.
I have learned along time ago trust your gut!!

I read all the stories on this forum, and others about how terrible BO and BM are and the stuff some boarders pull, it makes me SO SO happy to know I got such a great group of boarders here with me,.
It also makes me think I'm charging way to little based on my standard of care to what some of these people are paying for crappy care! LOL

AlexS 02-11-2011 01:31 AM

Glad to hear that you have great boarders, and I would like to turn it around a little and say I think you are a great barn owner.
My BO calls a vet/farrier first then calls me the next second, I pay her to take care of my horse so I love this.

Keep being so great and hopefully you will have a limited amount of bad boarders.

Brookside Stables 02-11-2011 01:33 AM

I had boarded for 10 years in 3 states and at least 6 stables before buying and running my own place. I tell people I designed my place after the best stuff all those places had to offer and tried to avoid all the things I hated.

I agree it is amazing what some people will put up with and what they do to "get back" at their BO's and BM's. Its a two way street most of the time. I have not turned anyone away yet that I felt would be a bad fit but there are people I have met at trail rides and shows that I would have no problem saying NO too!

kitten_Val 02-11-2011 10:31 AM

Wow! I wish I'd have a BO like you in past (before I move my girls home)! :D

starlinestables 02-14-2011 02:39 AM

That's great to hear! I hate to see any horse get hurt.. and I hate making that phone call because I always feel like its my fault for some reason. Its so nice to have understanding boarders! Most of my boarders are terrific but there are always a few gems in every bunch. I wish I was a better judge in character... I still have a little to much faith in humanity to do the right thing.