The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   English Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/english-saddles-7784/)

Abby 04-10-2008 04:14 PM

English Saddles

Okay I want to take the new horse I've boughten and ride him English too since he does both (yippee) I'm looking for a good English saddle that is good for flat work, I don't plan on doing any jumping really.

I won't be riding in it as my main so It is safe to say I want to buy a saddle 500 and bellow because I really wont be using it all TOO often except in the arena. I don't care if its used or new I just don't want something falling apart after riding in it for a week.

anyone know of a place?

I need about an 18" (give or take .5" to the saddle maker) with a medium to medium wide tree.

brittx6x6 04-10-2008 05:33 PM

Wintec 500 are really good saddles. They come dirt cheap around here for what they stand up too. There synthetic and last for years. We have had one in the lesson program at our barn since we came out and it is still in top condition and our lesson saddles are heavily abused ha ha ha.

I am on dover saddlery right now and they have them for around $600 but you can get them at your tack store for probably $350-$500.

country_girl 04-14-2008 02:44 AM

a wintec 500 is an allpurpose saddle but if u just want to do dressage/flat work u can get a status dressage saddle they r synthetic so easy clean and comes really cheap. and they fit the horses really well!!!

Stepher 04-14-2008 10:34 AM

Im with the other guys, go with a Wintec. They are easy to care for, good quality and come with a good price tag

My2Geldings 04-20-2008 06:08 PM

Wintecs make great first saddles. Tho I wouldn't get another one, they are great all around saddle and will look good for years. The require very little care.
I might suggest to look around at your local tack stores and see what they have in the used saddles department. Some great finds there.

My2Geldings 04-23-2008 05:21 PM

I'm going to put mine for sale if you are interested you can pm me.

-xx-sally-xx- 04-25-2008 05:40 AM

i agree with the synthetic saddles being easy to care for, but a little extra work wont hurt to look after a leather. I've had both a wintec and a status saddle but never again! the wintec damaged my horses back perminately. As for the status, out of 4 horses it fitted.. well none. I now have a concord all purpose that i got for $AUS500 2nd hand but it does the job and does it well..

If you're not willing to pay alot because you dont ride english often i can understand.. try for a second hand one (as long as it gets examined correctly my a saddle fitter!!). In my personal experience, the best saddles are concord, bates, county (if your horse fits them) and syd hill.. very good saddle makers and they last years!!

Were you looking for an all purpose, dressage, turnout, jumping etc.? As we're currently in the process of a tack room clean up :P

let me know how it goes!!

My2Geldings 04-25-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -xx-sally-xx-
i agree with the synthetic saddles being easy to care for, but a little extra work wont hurt to look after a leather. I've had both a wintec and a status saddle but never again! the wintec damaged my horses back perminately. As for the status, out of 4 horses it fitted.. well none. I now have a concord all purpose that i got for $AUS500 2nd hand but it does the job and does it well..

If you're not willing to pay alot because you dont ride english often i can understand.. try for a second hand one (as long as it gets examined correctly my a saddle fitter!!). In my personal experience, the best saddles are concord, bates, county (if your horse fits them) and syd hill.. very good saddle makers and they last years!!

Were you looking for an all purpose, dressage, turnout, jumping etc.? As we're currently in the process of a tack room clean up :P

let me know how it goes!!

It's true that leather saddles are by far, more superior. I would also encourage you to save up and spend more time putting money aside to get a really nice second hand saddle. In the long run a saddle is a long term investment. There are some really nice ones in excellent shape for affordable prices.

Sady 04-26-2008 03:36 PM

I've ever said that there will never be a wintec under my bottom on the horses back. It was a fate, that I bought exactly this one. It's a wintec pro dressage and I was very excited. It fits me and my horse and lets me feel the movements of my horse very well, as my horse gets my hints in a very streight way. But if you're going to buy one, buy it without cair system. The cair pads makes the saddle flounder. And they're also susceptible to damage.

Of course, lether is better than synthetik, but the wintec quality is not so bad. And to buy a good leather saddle, you have to spent much more money on it. We have a lot of really good saddleries in germany, but the saddles are sooo expensive. If you want to have a good one you have to spend 2000 or more, open end.

And I like the bates and county saddles too, but the bates also without cair of corse. Or and nothing to say about status, I really don't like him and can't find something good on it.

Oh and @sally A wintec has to be customize as a leather saddle too. But there are a few types of horse where this saddle is never going to fit the horse.

Bye,
Sady

Gingerrrrr 04-26-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Wintecs make great first saddles. Tho I wouldn't get another one, they are great all around saddle and will look good for years. The require very little care.
I might suggest to look around at your local tack stores and see what they have in the used saddles department. Some great finds there.

ditto what My2Geldings said. i had a Wintec as my first saddle. it was very comfy but i just didn't like it. i prefer leather over synthetics any day.