The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need help making a decision about a saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-help-making-decision-about-saddle-77851/)

dee 02-06-2011 12:17 PM

Need help making a decision about a saddle

I plan on ordering a saddle from Southern Trails. They have one that will fit Dancer (high withered, broad backed) and my fat backside (I need at LEAST an 18" seat).

My farrier was out recently and made a suggestion that he thought would save me a little money in the long run. He thought I might do well with a treeless saddle for a year or two. I could get an inexpensive one (a Hilason isn't very well made, but the saddle only needs to last a couple of years.) The farrier's reasoning is that he thinks I may lose quite a bit of weight if I ride regularly, and after a year or two, won't need such a large seat size. At that point, might want to consider a really good saddle. Also, as old as Dancer actually is (I was told she was 12 when I got her, but in reality - she's almost 17), I may not be riding her for very long, and a saddle to fit her would not fit most other horses. Of course, she may be ridable well into her 20's, which would be great, so that's also something to think about.

I'm really getting confused!!!!!!!

Saddlebag 02-06-2011 12:20 PM

What is the make of the saddle you plan on ordering?

dee 02-06-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 918670)
What is the make of the saddle you plan on ordering?

I want to order a walker trail saddle from Southern Trails. It's supposed to fit a high withered horse that still needs FQH bars. I think it's around $900 - $1000.

Saddlebag 02-06-2011 03:56 PM

PM me if you might be interested in a new (rode in for 20 min) lighter weight leather cordura in a generous 16" seat. It absolutely didn't fit my twh as he's round and this saddle fits high withers. Priced well below $900. By generous seat size I was floating in it yet my other 16 fits fine.