The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   If you buy a registered horse, do you have to show it under that name? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/if-you-buy-registered-horse-do-77870/)

hillree 02-06-2011 04:01 PM

If you buy a registered horse, do you have to show it under that name?

Or can you give it a different show name?

JerBear 02-06-2011 05:12 PM

Um I dont believe you can change its show name once they are registered. Sorry! But I mean at a show you could probably call it whatever you want....

Hoofprints in the Sand 02-06-2011 05:18 PM

It probably depends on the registry and its specific rules but for APHA you can re register under another name but only if the horse has no registered offspring.

My mare had already had two foals when I got her so I couldn't change her registered name...but I show her under a name I made up :) You can show under whatever name you want unless you're going for points for a specific registry in which case I would think they would require the registered name for tracking purposes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 02-06-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 918965)
You can show under whatever name you want unless you're going for points for a specific registry in which case I would think they would require the registered name for tracking purposes.
Posted via Mobile Device

This.
Posted via Mobile Device

ohsareee 02-06-2011 05:58 PM

Well I know for a fact that my current horse(registered Westphalian) has a different registered name with the Westphalian registry than he does with USEF. I don't have his actualy papers so I don't know about changing WB registry names.

I had a QH gelding that it was like $60 or something to change his registered name and I had a paint mare that was the same way.

I have no idea how it goes once the horse has offspring but I know you can usually change them but, its gonna cost ya.

I don't think that the Jockey Club will let you change a name once the horse has run a race but, I am not positive on that.

faye 02-06-2011 06:25 PM

I think If you are changing a name that has been given to a well bred horse by a stud then you are cheating the stud.
They have put time,effort and finances into breeding that horse and deserve the recognition if it does well! A stud prefix attached to a horse that does well is brillaint advertising for the stud!

Hoofprints in the Sand 02-06-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohsareee (Post 918996)
Well I know for a fact that my current horse(registered Westphalian) has a different registered name with the Westphalian registry than he does with USEF. I don't have his actualy papers so I don't know about changing WB registry names.

I had a QH gelding that it was like $60 or something to change his registered name and I had a paint mare that was the same way.

I have no idea how it goes once the horse has offspring but I know you can usually change them but, its gonna cost ya.

I don't think that the Jockey Club will let you change a name once the horse has run a race but, I am not positive on that.

APHA said I could not change my mare's name for any fee at all since she had foals that had already been registered.
Posted via Mobile Device

dressagebelle 02-06-2011 08:06 PM

You can use whatever show name you want, but as Hoofprints said, if you are going for points, at least with the Arabian horses, and APHA, AQHA, ApHA (I hope thats appaloosa), you have to use the registered name, so they can add the points to the appropriate horses, like some Arabs that have the / and + after their names, because they've gotten titles. If you don't like her registered name, and aren't trying to get points in breed shows, then you can use whatever name you like.