The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Possible Purchase (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/possible-purchase-77948/)

ak_showgirl 02-07-2011 02:28 PM

Possible Purchase

Hey, I am looking at this horse and was wondering what you thought of his confo. Im not looking to keep him as a stallion. I am mostly interested in english diciplines.

REG. Q.H. STALLION

Thanks!

Speed Racer 02-07-2011 02:30 PM

Are horses hard to come by in Alaska? Because that's a really high price for a horse that will need to be completely trained.

Arksly 02-07-2011 02:40 PM

I've noticed that around here (Central Alberta) a registered Quarter horse that has training is over $5,000. It's pretty common to find a green horse or one that hasn't done anything for $3-$4,000. In order to get a decent english horse with any potential for dressage you're looking at $6,000 +. It's rediculous.

kitten_Val 02-07-2011 03:19 PM

Wow! That sounds ridiculously high, Arksly!

showgirl, he looks like a sweet boy but somehow I don't like his neck much. Although I have to say I'm not good at critique in general... :-)

GeminiJumper 02-07-2011 03:52 PM

I would not pay that much for a stallion with that little training that you want for a riding horse. I also wouldn't pick him for an english horse. Too much bulk and short legs. I CAN see him though as an awesome roping horse or a stock horse used for ranching! He's an awesome looking guy but in my opinion, I wouldn't pay that much for him and not for english purposes. :)

ilovemyPhillip 02-07-2011 04:35 PM

He does look stocky to be a English horse.

But I trained my mom's cow-bred QH (who's built like a TANK) to jump 2ft, before he went blind.

If you're looking at Hunter, his movement may not be what you're looking for, though.

equiniphile 02-07-2011 04:44 PM

Wow, horses must be hard to come by up there. For that price here you could get a finished eventer ready to take you to Training level here! In the QH Journal there was an article on hay prices in different parts of the 'States, and Alaska was like $13 a bale? I guess horses are pretty few and far between up there.

I think we've found a new business! Buy a bunch of slaughter-bound ponehs, fatten 'em up, and truck 'em up to Alaska. Could make a killing :lol: (JK)