The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Faking It (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/faking-7797/)

Sunkissed28f 04-10-2008 10:29 PM

Faking It

I watched a young woman, (perhaps early 20's) ride a horse over the weekend and I was impressed with her riding. Nothing fancy, but she had a good seat, balance, and reined very well.

I wouldn't say she was show worthy, but she had a "feel" for the horse and although she never went over a canter, she maintained a smooth trot.

Strange part was I asked her how long she had been riding and she said it was her 4th time ever in the saddle. That she went on a few trail rides at an hour each and road a friends horse in an arena one time.

She said she didn't know much about it except to sit deep and hold the reins steady, etc.

That's what I call either "faking it" or a natural.

Could you spot a "faker" or natural rider in a short 30 minute riding demonstration? Can some one REALLY "fake it"?

I do think there are natural riders, who get on horse and just belong there, but can you tell they aren't accomplished? What do you look for when you watch a rider? What "sticks out" to you the most when some one is green?

mell 04-10-2008 11:06 PM

the first thing i notice is balance...

free_sprtd 04-10-2008 11:49 PM

confidence

kitten_Val 04-11-2008 07:57 AM

I've NEVER seen "natural rider" who looks like professional on 4th (or even 5th, 6th, etc.) time in saddle.

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-11-2008 11:07 AM

I think that there are people out there that have excellent balance (not me) and people that have a "feel" for the way a horse moves under them (not me) and people that can watch and learn how to handle the reins etc. they pick up on the finer details (not me)...and others that try to hold onto the saddle with their butt cheeks, stiffen to every bump the horse makes and hold the reins with a death grip (me, the first few times I rode) I do think that there are Naturals...its a blind trust they have being new and not eating any dirt yet. Give 'em time...hee hee 8)

Spastic_Dove 04-15-2008 03:16 PM

Maybe just a natural feel of the horse coupled with balance?

Or a horse with a really smooth trot =P
Diesel has a stupidly smooth trot and people dont seem to have a problem to sit his.

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-16-2008 02:18 AM

Dumas will loosen your fillings at a trot :shock: I prefer to walk...a lot...my husband like it when we trot :wink:

But I do think if its your first time on a smooth horse and you have an open attitude things could look better than they really are.

kim_angel 04-21-2008 02:06 PM

She could be a natural. My nieces are visiting this week and I let them all ride my horse. My middle niece, Jess, is a natural. She just gets up there and rides like she has been riding all her life. It amazes me. :shock:

notorious_ 05-01-2008 10:02 PM

honestly, i don't think someone can "fake it"
if they know how to "fake it" then they aren't faking it. they just know how to do it, right? haha

PoptartShop 05-01-2008 10:09 PM

Haha, I don't think it's something you can fake...but hey, some people just have natural talents! :lol: