The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Trouble integrating into herd..... (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/trouble-integrating-into-herd-77985/)

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 02-07-2011 07:46 PM

Trouble integrating into herd.....

Hi all!
Well some of you all ready know we added a new mini just over 2 weeks ago....

As always I have put him in his own pen, sharing a common fence line with the others.
This past Saturday was his 2 week mark with us, and we were feeling like it was time to put him in with the others, they had all been showing relaxed signs of acceptance....

We opened the gate between paddocks, and things did not go as well as we were hoping. :?
The three more dominant horses pretty much tagged teamed him, so all he could do was put himself where he felt the most comfortable, and fend them off with back kicks.... No one was terribly aggressive, no one was hurt, it was just the way they ganged up on him.

Soooo, I was not comfortable leaving them to work it out between them selves after that, and ended up leaving him in with the two minis who are lowest on the totem pole. And the three "aggressors" in the other paddock together.
I figure this will give him the chance to bond with them first, and then I will ad one of the other three at a time as things look like they are going well....

Does this sound like a good plan?
I have not ever had this problem before in all the years we've had horses. Granted it has only been two weeks... But I am hoping to get them in where they ALL have access to the barn, because I am sure this mild'ish winter weather will not last.

So far it does not seem like he is bonding at all with the other two either. :-(
(I know it has only been two days.)
Domino, our new guy, seems to be exceptionally sensitive, and very non-aggressive, just stands off by himself all day.
The other two don't even have to blink an eye at him, and he will leave his hay pile, etc.....

Any one else experience a horse like this?
Any tips, suggestions?
I'd appreciate it!

dirtymartini 02-08-2011 08:43 PM

I am sorry this is happening! I know it is hard to watch. The woman who sold me Boo told me that he gets beat up when he is in a group, that's one of the reasons she really wanted me to have him. Boo is also kind of "pitiful" in the sense that he just kind of stands around with his head hung low. I guess the other horses see this and/or sense it.

I wonder if you could put him in a paddock with just one of the aggressors?

I wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't. Hopefully someone will have a suggestion, or you may want to cross post this on one of the other boards. Good luck.

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 02-08-2011 09:12 PM

Hi Dirtymartini, and Thanks!

You know, I have been watching the three of them all day, Domino and the two "low" men, LOL....
Today Domino has actually been roaming around the paddock and checking out the barn, etc.
Instead of just standing in one spot all day.
He even felt relaxed enough to lay down and sun bathe awhile! :D

So I feel like there is some progress being made. Whew!
I think if the three of them are still looking pretty relaxed tomorrow, I may put one of the "aggressors" into the mix the following day, and see how that goes.
I'll just play it by ear and let them all do it in their own time. :wink:
(I all ready knew this, but like I said, the weather kind'a changes how I look at it...)

How do Boo and Bruno get on? You have them together don't you?
(except at feed time now?)

dirtymartini 02-08-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritedLittleCopperSpots (Post 921757)
Hi Dirtymartini, and Thanks!

You know, I have been watching the three of them all day, Domino and the two "low" men, LOL....
Today Domino has actually been roaming around the paddock and checking out the barn, etc.

I think if the three of them are still looking pretty relaxed tomorrow, I may put one of the "aggressors" into the mix the following day, and see how that goes.
(I all ready knew this, but like I said, the weather kind'a changes how I look at it...)

Posted via Mobile Device

dirtymartini 02-08-2011 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=SpiritedLittleCopperSpots;921757][COLOR=DarkRed]Hi Dirtymartini, and Thanks!

Oh, they are fine together. Bruno was all alone for a month or two...so he was THRILLED to have a companion. I will say, Bruno can be a little grumpy with Boo, but nothing too awful. I have seen Boo stand up for himself, also....kind of funny to see.
I am not sure how things would have been had there been multiple horses around when I introduced Boo.

I see your point...you know things will hash out eventually....but if it gets really cold, you need it hashed out ASAP!
Posted via Mobile Device

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 02-11-2011 06:27 PM

Just thought I'd share my "happy"! :D

Domino was been in with the two "low men" for 4 days, then I added our little Stallion in yesterday, and since then things have really gotten much better!
Domino and Sammy really hit it off, so now all 4 of them are doing well.
Guess it just took our awesome little Sammy to get things moving in the right direction, you'd just never know he was a stallion...

Tomorrow I am going to put Kozmo in with the four of them, see how that goes.
Then "bully" Hobbs can do some thinking on his own for a bit. Hopefully come to the conclusion that he is just wasting his time.

So, I am relieved to be on the way to having my happy little herd back! Yay.

Caitlinpalomino 02-11-2011 07:48 PM

i am happy to hear things turned out well!!!

natisha 02-11-2011 08:03 PM

I would put do as you're doing but then put only the top horse in with him when you think it's time. Let them work it out individually then once they all have established their ranking with him put the whole group together.

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 02-11-2011 11:19 PM

Thanks Caitlinpalomino!

Natisha. Yes, I think I might put just Domino and Kozmo in together like you're recommending.
That would probably be a good idea. Let them get use to where they stand with each other, with out having the others in the mix.
They all ready seem to be pretty good with each other through the fence, so that's a good sign.

Hobbs is actually the only one I am still concerned about.
He is not the alpha in the heard, Kozmo is.
But he is the one who runs at the fence teeth barred and all.......

You think maybe when the time is right, I should be putting him and Domino in alone together instead of Kozmo?
Sure appreciate the input!

natisha 02-12-2011 02:25 AM

Sorry, I can't keep up with who is where in the ranking.
You've already put the two lowest rankers in with him. If Hobbs looks the most challenging try doing him last, when Domino already has Kozmo & the others as a friend. Remove the ones Domino already is friends with, add the next highest in rank. One on one usually gives the least problems.
I'll be getting a new horse soon & I know one of my mares will be a beast to her, so I am thinking of taking my current mare along when I get the new mare. Horses seem to be best friends with whoever they trailer with, especially when they traveled alone first. She'll be happy for the company on the return trip. I'm hoping she will be nicer when they get home, though they won't be together for a long time, if ever.