The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   horse insurance? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-insurance-78/)

dave_in_delaware 11-28-2006 04:12 PM

horse insurance?

I was just curious if anyone here has insurance on their horse(s)? And, if you do, what coverages do you have?

When I called a few "local" insurance companies (and the Farm bureau here), I was surprised to find out that many horse owners don't even bother w/ insurance. To me, that's very surprising. I mean, it's not like a horse only costs $50 and accidents never happen. :shock:

My horse (assuming I buy him), will be boarded, so I'm not sure what the boarding facility's coverage is, or even if it covers anything related to my horse at all...

I'm figuring I'll at least get:

Mortality/Theft coverage
Liability coverage

Also, he's a stallion and I want to stud him once in a while. Should I get infertility coverage then?

Just curious as to what others have (if anything). And, if it's not too personal, which company you use?

(If this info is too personal, you can send me a PM so it's not public)

Thanks in advance.

Mercury 11-28-2006 07:04 PM

I've been thinking along those lines too, but I haven't had too much time to look into it too much. I would probably get something that would only cover major surgery and death though for my horses. Things that I wouldn't be able to afford w/o insurance.

As far as infertility goes, I would only get that if you have an extremely valuable stud. Is he a money earner? or does he show in graded shows? if not I wouldn't do it.

sammiwhiskers2k6 12-05-2006 05:35 PM

hiya mine r both insured for pretty much everything, straying, theft illness, personal and public laibilty, tack insurance, disposal of body in event of death.. and i pay around £500 a year for both of my ponies. :D hope this helps.. by the way, sounding by what your going to be doing with your horse.. id highly recommend! good luck

branDcalf 12-06-2006 05:28 PM

My current horses (grade gelding and mares) are not insured. Have had a couple insured in the past. My experience was to go with who the commercial farms (racing, showing) use. They have already done the homework on who gives the best service. Most farm managers are happy to share their smarter/better decisions.
Good Luck.
branD

hunter_princessll==ll 12-20-2006 11:39 AM

I think it is a really good idea to have some sort of major Medical insurance. You never know when a horse may just trip and then break a leg, or be fine one day and the next have colic. Its a scary thing to think about, but ive seen it before, my favorite little pony died of colic. :cry: