The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dull coat to shiny coat? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dull-coat-shiny-coat-78033/)

MagicDestiny 02-08-2011 02:21 AM

Dull coat to shiny coat?

Hey guys! Does anyone have any tips on getting a horse's dull, winter coat to have more shine in it? I have a friend who has a horse that she's taking to a horse show at the end of the month, but his coat was looking a little dull, so I wanted to give her some suggestions on what she could do to make it a bit more presentable. He's definitely in pasture condition, and rarely has a blanket on so after a good bath he should look a lot better. But does anyone have any good recommendations for topical products (like shampoos/conditions) that are really good at bringing the luster back into the coat? Thanks a lot! If it helps he's a medium colored chestnut. Does anyone know how to make a chestnut coat really stand out in the show ring? Thanks for your help! I look forward to your responses. :-)

PintoTess 02-08-2011 05:04 AM

Winter coats are not supposed to look shiny and good. Good coat condition doesn't just happen over night. A wash won't fix it. He needs to be rugged ect... To make my mares coat nice, she is rugged, groomed nearly every day. I start trimming about 1 month before the show and start to hood her and make her coat nice. I also feed her coat and hoof conditioner. It helps and strengthens hooves as well, which is a bonus.

HowClever 02-08-2011 05:21 AM

Going to disagree with PintoTess here and say that a winter coat can and should still look shiny and healthy. It comes from proper nutrition and good old fashioned grooming.

Sarahandlola 02-08-2011 05:40 AM

Feed her oil...Just normal vegetable oil will do. But apparently Flaxseed oil or corn oil is the best. I am using carbon oil! It is great!

Tejas 02-08-2011 02:56 PM

Im going to get some flax seed oil! =]

gypsygirl 02-08-2011 02:59 PM

lots of daily grooming !!

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-08-2011 03:08 PM

Ground flax seed is supposed to help a lot (with coat shine among other things). I just picked up a bag, so I can't speak of results just yet.

Saddlebag 02-08-2011 03:49 PM

Flax takes about a month to put shine in the coat. I didn't know winter coats aren't supposed to be shiney. My two, a black and a bay are shiney and dappled in their long woolies and they basically live outside. All they are getting is timothy hay, loose salt, and water.

MagicDestiny 02-08-2011 03:52 PM

Okay cool thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely pass them along. I think a lot has to do with the fact that he is just so dirty and dusty. I think all that dirt and grime is just making it look dull. Does anyone have suggestions of a really good shampoo or conditioner that can really get all the grime out of the coat? He looks like a walking dust cloud at the moment. I know about the oils, and I think I will tell her to start supplementing with some corn oil. Thanks a lot! :)

PintoTess 02-09-2011 01:49 AM

Ok what I said, I missworded it lol :D I have a habit of doind that. What I meant was, unlike the summer coat, it is long and fluffy so doesn't look as good as the summer coat.

Sorry guys! lol