The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Is a trophy saddle a good first saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/trophy-saddle-good-first-saddle-78034/)

BarrelWannabe 02-08-2011 01:52 AM

Is a trophy saddle a good first saddle?
 
I am wanting to start barrel racing. The only thing I need is my saddle. I've found a saddle and it looks great for ony being $350. It's a trophy saddle. Are there any major downsides to a trophy saddle?
Should I consider other saddles that werent given as awards?

TKButtermilk 02-08-2011 02:20 AM

My first saddle (also a barrel saddle that was 350, weird coincidence) is a trophy saddle. It says something something rodeo queen 2006 on the fenders. I just plan on replacing them when I get some extra cash but honestly I haven't gotten a single question or comment about what it says on it, I don't think anyone really notices. If you research the brand and make sure you're getting something quality thatll work for both you and your horses it shouldn't be any different from any other saddle. Besides I got my awesome super comfy Alamo cheap thanks to that, and the fact that the seat is pink might have helped also :P mine was only ridden in supposedly once but it looks more like closer to half a dozen times and still looks brand new!
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelWannabe 02-08-2011 02:22 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm lucky I found this sight and my sister is into barrel racing. She isnt always helpful though. lol.

BuckOff41570 02-08-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelWannabe (Post 920825)
Thanks for the info! I'm lucky I found this sight and my sister is into barrel racing. She isnt always helpful though. lol.


What is the brand? Some trophy saddles are made better than others... some companies dont put much quality at all into their trophy saddles.

BarrelWannabe 02-08-2011 08:19 AM

Its a Pro Rider saddle. I looked up the website and read the testimonials. There werent that many though...

BuckOff41570 02-08-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelWannabe (Post 920940)
Its a Pro Rider saddle. I looked up the website and read the testimonials. There werent that many though...

Pro Rider's are a middle of the road saddle. I would def say that it's a good starting saddle. I've ridden in the Brett Series and loved it... and I'm used to riding in Premiers, Caldwells, and Martins... so that's saying something.

I would give it a shot.

mls 02-08-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckOff41570 (Post 920919)
What is the brand? Some trophy saddles are made better than others... some companies dont put much quality at all into their trophy saddles.

It's not the saddle company - it's the association that is giving away the saddle that decides on the quality.

BuckOff41570 02-09-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 921355)
It's not the saddle company - it's the association that is giving away the saddle that decides on the quality.

That may be as well.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0