The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pasture board prices? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pasture-board-prices-78061/)

Cali 02-08-2011 02:49 PM

Pasture board prices?

I have the opportunity to start boarding at someone's property. She owns 30 acres and there is a lean-to type shelter with a pen. I will be caring for the horses, providing feed/hay, etc. What is a reasonable price for this?
Posted via Mobile Device

ShinaKonga 02-08-2011 04:43 PM

I pay thirty dollars a month per horse. I board on 24 acres with a running well and thick tree shelter ;) I know of places that up it to fifty dollars a horse, though.

Cali 02-08-2011 04:45 PM

That is quite reasonable! Can I ask where you're located? (I should have asked that in the original post, so I can get an idea about areas).
Posted via Mobile Device

NicoleS11 02-08-2011 05:12 PM

It all depends on the area your in. I was paying $150 a month for my old horse who was on pasture.

TheRoughrider21 02-08-2011 09:18 PM

I pay $175 but if the weather gets bad, my horse gets to go in a stall. I get use of an indoor arena, my own tack locker, use of the cross ties, and they will bring my horse in for the vet or farrier if I can't be there. I still think its a lot but its the only place aorund here. Oh, I live in Northern Wisconsin.

Cali 02-08-2011 10:30 PM

Thanks! This is very very basic, the land owner will have little to nothing to do with them aside from petting and I told her she could ride my gelding.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 02-08-2011 11:00 PM

You guys in the midwest have it sooooo cheap! Our horses are on pasture board, (though they are feed hay in open free choice feeders twice a day).
there is NO arena, no indoor place to put your horse except if it's sick (one dark stall) and we pay $440 a month. No blanketing, no pullig for vet. Nothing beyond feeding hay and letting them roam on 40 acres. Also, many trails across the road.

AlexS 02-08-2011 11:31 PM

I pay $285 a month for full pasture board, so she blankets, provides all feed and hay, will hold for a vet, treats the horse as her own other than riding him.
I could get full pasture board for $150+ but the level of care would be nowhere near the same. When my horse has a problem my barn owner (also my trainer) calls a vet/farrier and then calls me, I love this!

tinyliny 02-09-2011 12:52 AM

This makes me wonder, why it's so expensive around here? As for our place, we are pretty close in to a large urband area (Bellevue and Seattle) so land is really pricey here . You know , so many people have moved here in the last 10 years that the market hot for land (cooled now due to economy)
Anyway, just wondering if people in your area make less money, so that 117$ feels like a lot 'cause it's all relative.
What is minimum wage? What are some salary examples. Like , say a teacher or what does a mechanic charge per hour there?

Delfina 02-09-2011 01:22 AM

Yowch TinyLiny!!

I pay $400 a month for TWO horses and that is for two stalls, all day turn out, full care, blanketing and whatever else my horses need.