The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Why is English tack so much more expensive than Westren tack? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/why-english-tack-so-much-more-78066/)

ErikaLynn 02-08-2011 03:03 PM

Why is English tack so much more expensive than Westren tack?

I was looking at the Ariat website...and the most expensive pair of English boots they have are $900.00 the most expensive Western cowboy boots they have are $500.00.

Same with English saddles they are a lot more expensive than Western saddles, Western saddles use more leather too.

I just wanted to know why it's like that

Speed Racer 02-08-2011 03:08 PM

I don't buy Western tack, but I've certainly seen some prices on it that will make your head spin.

I think any well made tack is expensive, regardless of the discipline.

Those boots you're freaking out over? Any field boots that cost the kind of money you're talking, are custom made. Custom made anything is always more expensive that just off the rack.

Gem97 02-08-2011 03:13 PM

It depends what company your using

ErikaLynn 02-08-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 921299)
I don't buy Western tack, but I've certainly seen some prices on it that will make your head spin.

I think any well made tack is expensive, regardless of the discipline.

Those boots you're freaking out over? Any field boots that cost the kind of money you're talking, are custom made. Custom made anything is always more expensive that just off the rack.

No they aren't custom made

Tall Boots Monaco Field Zip - Ariat

I saw a lot of people at a show with them, and I really liked them, until I saw the price.

Ray MacDonald 02-08-2011 03:20 PM

I've seen western saddles easily go into 2,000 and up.

Speed Racer 02-08-2011 03:20 PM

They're made in Spain from young calf leather. They're not going to be cheap.

I'd think a custom made boot would put you out at least $1,500-$2,000, and I certainly wouldn't be buying them from Ariat.

Are you basing your entire opinion on just one website and only on new items? If so, you're not seeing the full range.

ErikaLynn 02-08-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 921321)
They're made in Spain from young calf leather. They're not going to be cheap.

I'd think a custom made boot would put you out at least $1,500-$2,000, and I certainly wouldn't be buying them from Ariat.

Are you basing your entire opinion on just one website and only on new items? If so, you're not seeing the full range.

I know...that was an example. I was just wondering why English things were more expensive than Western. If you can't answer my question that's ok.

ErikaLynn 02-08-2011 03:27 PM

The most expensive Western saddle's I've seen are about 3000 dollars, new, but look at these USED English saddle prices

French Used Saddles:High-quality used French saddles including Antares, Butet, Childeric, Delgrange, Devoucoux and Hermes Jumping

Fifty 02-08-2011 03:28 PM

English stuff isn't more expensive than Western? They both have cheap stuff and extremely expensive stuff.

Delfina 02-08-2011 03:29 PM

Cowboy boots aren't knee-high, nor do they need to fit perfectly around the leg.

There are plenty of Western Saddles that cost far more than $3000.