The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   **Flicka's 2011 Foaling Thread** (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/%2A%2Aflickas-2011-foaling-thread%2A%2A-78086/)

SkippersPointPerformance 02-08-2011 06:17 PM

**Flicka's 2011 Foaling Thread**

Hello everyone!
We are getting close to our little bundle of joy for this year! Flicka is a 3year old Thoroughbred, she is bred to Cremello AQHA stallion Quincy Blue Diamond.... we are really hoping bucksking colt!! but lately I have been having dreams of a palomino filly. lol :) I have included some recent photos of her and will keep updated ones on here as well.

This is my first foal in 7 years and since Flicka is so young and a MAIDEN we are very nervous for the delivery. Just hoping she will have a nice smooth delivery with no serious complications.

I am literally going beserk with this mare... Maidens! She has been throwing signs that she could go within the next few days and then revert back to a few weeks! Her back has filled some and then by evening it is usually much smaller. Her tail is easily moved without any resistance, her vulva seems to be starting to relax. She has gotten very affectionate towards only myself. She will eat non-stop for maybe four days to six days then wont touch anything except her grain for three days... like I said curse maidens! lol just kidding

Flicka at 323 days
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6427978_n.jpg

PintoTess 02-09-2011 01:11 AM

YAya , can't wait to see the foal!

uppidycowgirl 02-09-2011 01:21 AM

Can you please clarify this fillies age... I see it says 3 but find it hard to believe that she was bred as a two year old... or maybe she is going to be 4 soon? Gosh I hope so....

myhorsesonador 02-09-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uppidycowgirl (Post 922065)
Can you please clarify this fillies age... I see it says 3 but find it hard to believe that she was bred as a two year old... or maybe she is going to be 4 soon? Gosh I hope so....

I was thinking the same thing

Scoope 02-09-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

I sincerely hope so - although it wouldn't be the first time somebody bred a wee baby, is alittle sick to breed a 2 year old IMHO

kywalkinghorse2010 02-09-2011 11:59 AM

I don't know what all the hype is about breeding two year olds. They're reproductive systems are all there and a lot of them are coming into heat and going through their regular cycles by the age of 2. A lot of farms that have broodmares start them as broodmares at age 2 to foal at 3 years old. I know that they're young and they are more likely to have some risks when foaling. I, personally, wouldn't breed a two year old filly, but I would breed at 3 for foaling at 4.

twogeldings 02-09-2011 12:22 PM

I agree with the above poster. I personally wouldn't breed a two year old, but wild horses have also been known to breed as young as a year old. It's natural for them to do so, when they come into heat, they're ready (according to nature) to foal.

My little accident colt was born to a two year old mother. The stud colt matured a bit quicker then usual and managed to sire a colt before he got the snips. The dam is perfectly healthy and growing normally. If I do recall, she's turning three this year.

uppidycowgirl 02-09-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogeldings (Post 922440)
I agree with the above poster. I personally wouldn't breed a two year old, but wild horses have also been known to breed as young as a year old. It's natural for them to do so, when they come into heat, they're ready (according to nature) to foal.

My little accident colt was born to a two year old mother. The stud colt matured a bit quicker then usual and managed to sire a colt before he got the snips. The dam is perfectly healthy and growing normally. If I do recall, she's turning three this year.

From someone who has adopted and saved numerous wild horses and have been involved with mustangs for a long time, I have to say that although they breed young in the wild, the mortality rate is very high!! So why risk it, and why not wait til the filly is fully developed... Also just because she comes into heat doesn't mean she needs to be bred... hmm young girls start having a period at 11 and 12.... so does that mean they are mentally or physically ready to be a mother.... I think not...

SkippersPointPerformance 02-09-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

I understand your concern here. Flicka is going to be 4 this spring. I never planned on even purchasing her originally. I decided on a whim to just go out and see her and the other horses the man had for sale. He had some VERY nice AQHA and APHA broodmares for sale for very cheap. But something about Flicka had me hooked. She was the worse looking of them all. She was very underweight and she had lice really bad, needed vaccinated and wormed. The man said she wasn't what he wanted so he just bred her to his stud. I am so happy I decided to take her... $300 bought a wonderful little mare. She is very shy still and fidgety but she is starting to trust me slowly but surely. I have only had her since October 2010. I am just hoping all goes well with her pregnancy and delivery :D

SkippersPointPerformance 02-09-2011 02:23 PM

Hello everyone! Today marks Flicka's 325th day pregnant. I just peeked at her bags this morning under her blanket and she has a much larger bag than she has had the last week or so. Still not full by any means. I will be going out later this afternoon and take her blanket off and groom her out and get some updated pictures.

I also have a question... now Flicka was malnurished when I bought her and we went into a VERY cold fall, by end of October we were seeing some negatives at night. Flicka had a serious case of something that caused a lot of her hair to fall out, so I blanketed her. Now she is getting close to foaling and a lot of people have mentioned I need to take her blanket off, but we are still hitting the 20's and below at night and unfortunately I am not lucky enough to have a barn or a fully enclosed stall (she has a three walled stall) I took off her back leg straps for foaling so no one would get tangled up. I am just curious of everyone's opinion on what I should do. Thanks so much!