The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   2D, 3D and 4D barrel racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/2d-3d-4d-barrel-racing-78109/)

Scout24 02-08-2011 09:11 PM

2D, 3D and 4D barrel racing

i am looking to get into barrel racing and am curious to know what 2D, 3D, and 4D mean when I am looking at prospect horses as well as barrel races to attend. could someone please explain it to me?

BarrelRacer86 02-08-2011 10:09 PM

In a 3d race 2d is a second slower than the 1d horses in a 4d race 2d is a half second slower. Someone correct me if I'm wronga, I confuse them sometimes. 4d horses are the slowest, basically the lower the division the faster the horse. But it all depends on where they were ran, 1d at a little fair show will be a lot slower than 1d at a big state show. As for shows, if your not inthe 1d its all luck, the 1d controls it all in what the rest of the divisions times will start with. The divisions just give slower horses or riders just starting out a chance to place
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 02-08-2011 11:20 PM

They're basically speed divisions so that your horse is competing against horses within the speed its capable of. 1D horses are the fastest and set the "standard" for what the other divisions span of times is. Does that sentence makes sense?

I can't remember how they figure it out, but as an example (I just googled a girl I know barrel races and found results). The 1D times start at 15.319. Then .5 of a second is added, so between 15.319-15.819 is 1D, then 15.819-16.319 is 2D. Then they add a full second so 16.319-17.319 is 3D. Anything above 17.319 is 4D.

The divisions also fluctuate based on the size of the pattern and the size/notoriety of the show.

Scout24 02-08-2011 11:26 PM

thank you for explaining it to me, I always see these posters for barrel races and never understand them lol

nrhareiner 02-09-2011 10:58 AM

When they say a speed event will be say a 3D race what they are saying is they will pay to 3 divisions.

The other poster is correct that 1D is the fastest time and this will vary from race to race. That time sets the 2D and 3D. However they may only pay 3 spots in each Division. So lets say there are 5 horses that are in the 1D times. The 4th and 5th place horse will not get any money. However the horse who is slower and is with in the 2d times may actually win the 2D and earn money as will the 2nd and 3rd horse with in the 2D times however if there are 7 horses with in the 2d division the rest will not win any money. Then the slower horses who are in the 3D times it starts all over again. The horse who have the fastest time with in the 3D will win money as will 2nd and 3rd the rest will not.

Each race is different and every horse has a chance of being in any of these divisions. It is not set before the race starts like it is in other disciplines.

BuckOff41570 02-09-2011 11:59 AM

It can be relative in local circuits. I'll go by NBHA's standards for a 4D format.

1D-Fastest time of race
2D-.5 seconds off of fastest time
3D-1 second off of fastest time
4D-2 seconds off of fastest time

So lets say the winning time at an even was a 14.5
14.5 is the 1D time.
15.0 is the 2D time.
15.5 is the 3D time.
16.5 is the 4D time.

When a horse is advertised as a 2D, 3D, or 4D horse, it is COMPLETELY relative. Some regions are more competitive than others. So a 4D horse in one area could be a 2D/3D horse in another. While a 2D horse in one area, could be a 4D horse in another.
I, personally, think that the best way to gauge a horse's true Division is to run them at a Super Show. At these shows they are going against riders like Sara McDonald/ Bling, Brett Monroe/ SR, Shelby Singletary/ Ghost, Tyrney Steinhoff/Hotshot, and Ashley Snedeger/ VF Coup De Ville...
If you can see how the horse's time holds up to some of the best horses in the nation, then you know FOR SURE, what division the horse currently falls under.

DrumRunner 02-09-2011 12:32 PM

Buckoff is exactly right..and Barrelracer is right about the different speeds..a horse might be a 4d horse somewhere and a 2d somewhere else..it all depends on the other horses that you are running against...

Scout24 02-09-2011 10:44 PM

Thank you all for your help :) Now i know and understand when I am looking at racings and horses

Moosetang 02-13-2011 12:08 AM

This was really helpful! Thanks for posting the question Scout24!