The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lame Lame Lame! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lame-lame-lame-78163/)

Sarahandlola 02-09-2011 01:52 PM

Lame Lame Lame!

Ok so Lola is lame :-( I have been told it is a stone bruise...I have also been told there is something up with the top of her leg...The area I would call the 'underarms' XD So yes there is heat there but I am wondering would it be a bit warmer under there anyways?

And are you meant to bleed a stone bruise?

I lunged her yesterday. She looked really bad on the left rein. But on the right rein she looked perfect. No lameness at all :? So what does that mean? I would have thought she would have looked lame going both ways...

She is a TB too... Is it very common for them to go lame?

Sarahandlola 02-09-2011 04:52 PM

forgot to add...She will not put all of her weight on that leg...It is the right foreleg. And when I pick up her left leg to pick out her hooves she tries her very hardest to get me to let go...She leans back and if that does not work she keeps swinging her leg forward...

I am wondering how she could have hurt her leg...Would it be a pulled muscle or a joint problem? I know I would pull a muscle in my legs just walking in the mud that is out in the field now XD I have got stuck in it so many times and it nearly goes up to my knees!

sarahver 02-09-2011 04:57 PM

It could be a variety of things from the hoof all the way up to the shoulder and impossible to tell from a description. The fact that the leg is non weight bearing is concerning, I am reticent to give advice over the net. Best to get a vet out for this one.

It could be an abcess, do you have acess to hoof testers? It is not common for TB's to go lame necessarily although they are not always the sturdiest of breeds in general, thanks to poor breeding in the racing industry and often a tough start to life at the track.

Hope you sort things out!

Sarahandlola 02-09-2011 05:00 PM

Wrong post XD

Sarahandlola 02-09-2011 05:02 PM

Thanks...I am getting someone to check her soon...Also I forgot to add is it ok to leave her out in the field? Or should I keep her in a stable? Only problem is there are no stables left!

sarahver 02-09-2011 05:02 PM

Again, hard to tell not knowing what is wrong with her, wish I could be able to offer more advice but I think a vet's opinion on care/treatment will be much better informed and accurate than anything I can tell you over the internet!

AlexS 02-09-2011 09:41 PM

If she will not put weight on it at all, you should not be lunging her, or forcing her to by picking out her other feet, until a vet sees her. Also it would be better if you could stall her so she can rest it more.

Sarahandlola 02-10-2011 04:51 AM

I only lunged her because she was better...Then she went lame again.

Alwaysbehind 02-10-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahandlola (Post 922629)
I lunged her yesterday. She looked really bad on the left rein. But on the right rein she looked perfect. No lameness at all :? So what does that mean? I would have thought she would have looked lame going both ways...

Some issues show more depending on the direction the horse is traveling.
Talk to your vet.

I agree with Alex's post.

And no, you do not 'bleed' a stone bruise. Though I am not sure what you mean by bleed but I am assuming you mean drain.
It is a bruise. Like you get when you bump yourself. It hurts. Hence the horse is lame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahandlola (Post 922629)
She is a TB too... Is it very common for them to go lame?

:shock:
I would say no more common or uncommon than any other specific breed of horse.

qtrhrsecrazy 02-10-2011 09:38 AM

I don't know lol.... my TB was a train wreck. ALWAYS hurting himself