The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Jack got Colic (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/jack-got-colic-78218/)

JackofDiamonds 02-10-2011 04:17 AM

Jack got Colic

*I GO TO BOARDING SCHOOL AND MY HORSES LIVE AT SCHOOL ASWELL*
(also Equestrian is considerd a mastery at my school.. its a class)

Today at lunch i was sitting with my friends and the Equestrian Coordinater came over and said she had seen Jack rolling a few times and just to keep an eye on him. I had been watching him too as he was laying flat out streched in the paddock like he usually does when his sunbaking. But her saying this scared me!! I ditched my friends....Then my other friend who does the mastery overheard and walked over with me, Caleb (my friend) started calling his name and jack looked at us and tried to get up and just collapsed, by then we were sprinting to his paddock and we had to lift him up because he kept collapsing. We managed to get him up and he was fine but a bit out of character. I went to class (across the road) to tell my teacher i was going to stay with him and by then 2 other girls from the mastery stayed with me incase we had to lift him up again... When we got back he was still out of character and his gums were white and he was showing the symptoms of colic-

Sweating
Pawing
Kicking his belly occasionaly
Looking and biting his belly
Change in attitudeno gut sounds
Stretching out whilst standing
Change in gum colour

By now i was baling my eyes out! We called the vet and he said he was alright but deffinatley had stomach pains, so he drenched him and gave him a few shots and diagnosed it as Spasmodic colic then left me to deal with it all. Im stressing out because i dont know how long im supposed to monitor him or when to give the ok to ride him again im here at school alone i dont have any parents or anyone to give 2nd advice im on a whim and im scared as i could be!!.... Im just letting it all out my brains been in super speed half the day and im going crazy!

His seemed to pick up a bit and he did a tiny poop wich is good! Ive washed him (the vet said it should be ok) and rugged him up so his not cold.. I didnt feed him and ill go check on him soon..

Anyone know anything to help?:cry::cry::cry::cry:

PintoTess 02-10-2011 04:23 AM

OH NO!!! I really hope he is ok Chels!!!

Maverick101 02-10-2011 11:48 PM

colic sucks!

Its one of those things that you can only do so much, and the rest is left to fate so to speak.

Other then keeping them comfortable ...using drugs such as Banamine. Periodic walking (don't walk him till he is exhausted...if he wants to lay down quietly...that is fine as they do need to rest )
Keep your vet informed of his temp, any drastic changes in gum color, dehydration, and excessive sweating.
But just stay w him and monitor him, offer him water, and a small amount of hay (preferably grass hay).
Syringing a anti-gas and oil into the mouth can also be helpful.

ShutUpJoe 02-11-2011 10:54 AM

Wow I hope he is ok : (

Alwaysbehind 02-11-2011 10:58 AM

How is Jack doing?

JackofDiamonds 02-12-2011 07:17 AM

Hi everyone, Thanks. Yeah Jack is recovering well. His going to have a week off maybe a bit more just to be on the safe side. His gums have colour and his capillaray refill is responsive, and he has gut sounds! How exciting! Im freaking out though, as is all my friends and the mastery students. Every time he lays down we all run to make sure he can get up. I actually think he gets a kick out of it... He is back to his cheecky self, let himself out of his stable last night and broke into the feed room and had a nibble on "everyone's" food! So so naughty! Ive wrapped him up in cotton wool and i suppose i am being to picky... Im scared to let him even pick on the green grass!! Ive been feeding him wet chaff and am unsure wether to go back to giving him his handful of grain and Khonkes trim (weight loss feed, how sad!!) Now my other horse has hurt his leg and might need surgery, so im not having much luck!!

thanks everyone. His been lucky.. =) i am so happy as i was prepared to fight till the very end for this horse. He is so so special and has got me through alot and to have that feeling in the back of my mind that he might no longer be there just killed me inside. I sat and cried all night. Jack means "everything" to me!!

kassyrose 02-13-2011 06:20 AM

My old mare had colic, our vet said not to feed her for 8 hours and walk her for at least 3 of them, after the 8 hour period your safe to start feeding again, leave it a day before riding, no-one likes working when they've been poorly. Keep him up and walking and he'll be fine, don't panick!