The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   HELP. my dog doesn't get it!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/help-my-dog-doesnt-get-7822/)

Phantomcolt18 04-11-2008 10:07 PM

HELP. my dog doesn't get it!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so i live on a main road and i have a yorkie he doesn't seem to want to run around the yard he needs to escape by jumping(climbing) the 4 and a half ft tall fence. he has done this over a hundred times and each time he has just nearly escaped being hit by a car. now everytime he gets out we catch him, tell him no, he gets a smack on the butt, and in the cage he goes for a while. now we do this EVERY time but he keeps doing it. you would think after a few times he would get the picture.right WRONG!!! does anyone have any ideas on what to do cause one day im afraid his luck might run out and i don't want him to get hit. i swear he's got like 20 lives or something. any suggestions would be awesome.

JustDressageIt 04-11-2008 10:43 PM

Keep him on a leash outside.

Vidaloco 04-12-2008 09:10 AM

Is he an intact male? if so get him fixed. That could cure a lot of problems. If hes already neutered, I would suggest a tall dog run or a training collar. The training collar would be best, just put it on him and every time he gets near the fence zap him.
We live on a busy road too. I lost the best dog I ever had to it before we got our fence put up. Its heartbreaking :cry:

Phantomcolt18 04-12-2008 11:13 AM

yes he is neutured and i really don't like shock collars but i guess i will try it to see how he does with it. any more suggestions would be great.

NorthernMama 04-12-2008 12:12 PM

Re: HELP. my dog doesn't get it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18
ok so i live on a main road and i have a yorkie he doesn't seem to want to run around the yard he needs to escape by jumping(climbing) the 4 and a half ft tall fence. he has done this over a hundred times and each time he has just nearly escaped being hit by a car. now everytime he gets out we catch him, tell him no, he gets a smack on the butt, and in the cage he goes for a while. now we do this EVERY time but he keeps doing it. you would think after a few times he would get the picture.right WRONG!!! does anyone have any ideas on what to do cause one day im afraid his luck might run out and i don't want him to get hit. i swear he's got like 20 lives or something. any suggestions would be awesome.

Ok, by smacking him and putting him in the kennel you are teaching him that coming back home is not a good thing. His punishment needs to be on the road, not at home. I live in he country so it's much easier, but here's what I did with my dog when he was a pup:

Walk him around the yard on a leash and be ever so nice to him while he is within boundaries. As soon as he tries to go where he shouldn't, scold him. Do this as many times a day as you can for about 15 minutes each time. If he is older and he's been doing this for a while, this alone may not work -- that's when the shock collar and buried fencing comes along. But those require the same training, don't forget.

If he get the idea, then when he does escape, scold him (even from a distance) "BAD ROAD" (not bad dog) then call him home. Repeat this until he comes to you. When he comes, praise him.

Good luck. It'll help too if you can figure out WHY he's going out. What's so interesting out there? Make home the place he wants to be.

Phantomcolt18 04-12-2008 03:14 PM

Re: HELP. my dog doesn't get it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernmama
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18

Ok, by smacking him and putting him in the kennel you are teaching him that coming back home is not a good thing. His punishment needs to be on the road, not at home. I live in he country so it's much easier, but here's what I did with my dog when he was a pup:

Walk him around the yard on a leash and be ever so nice to him while he is within boundaries. As soon as he tries to go where he shouldn't, scold him. Do this as many times a day as you can for about 15 minutes each time. If he is older and he's been doing this for a while, this alone may not work -- that's when the shock collar and buried fencing comes along. But those require the same training, don't forget.

If he get the idea, then when he does escape, scold him (even from a distance) "BAD ROAD" (not bad dog) then call him home. Repeat this until he comes to you. When he comes, praise him.

Good luck. It'll help too if you can figure out WHY he's going out. What's so interesting out there? Make home the place he wants to be.

when we smack him we are on the road and we point to the road with all the cars whizzing by(u would think he would be scared) and yell "NO" really loud. and i believe i figured out why he wants to escape. he only jumps out when a person is going down the road now he does have a tendency to be a nipper and for some reason even though we properly socialized him as a pup he still wants to be overly protective of the family and go after people. but i feel he has no reason to jump the fence to go after someone who is about 300 yards from the house. and he's 3 if this makes a difference with anything. but i see where you are coming from with him thinking coming home is a bad thing. we're gonna stop doing that.because obviously it is not working.

appylover31803 04-12-2008 03:18 PM

Did you ever do any training classes with him? Do you do anything with him out there, or only to do his business? Do you take him on walks and exercise him?

Phantomcolt18 04-12-2008 04:35 PM

we go for walks i've been teaching him to go through obsticle courses and jumps, so its not like he's bored.and he enjoys walks(we go about every other day) and he gets so excited when we do the courses and jumps. the only thing i can think of is that he wants to go after everyone who goes by the house.

ilovemyhorsies 04-13-2008 07:38 AM

he obviously loves you very much and wants to protect you from all sorts...sounds a bit like my dog *sorry for hijacking your thread but here are some of my liddle meggymoo's antics*

*she swims out way beyond her depth just to 'save' us in the water (generally when we are only knee or waist depth!)
*chases birds all over the paddock
*gets so hyped up and excited about a possum that she quivers all over and starts making whiney noises before racing towards it and making more barking/yelping/whining/howling noises
*she stares at this pole with an electric wire on it (connected from our house to the shed) outside our house for ages - which possums run along at night
*she 'talks' (howls) to my dad when he talks silly to her

anyways back onto your dog - - - -

def try what the others have said...if they don't work maybeh a shock collar or one of those collars used to keep cows within a boundary even without a fence (a boundary is programed in and whenever a cow comes close to or oversteps the boundary they get zapped) - i don't know if they make them for dogs tho thats all

appylover31803 04-13-2008 10:38 AM

if you walk him every other day, try walking him everyday, and don't go the same route everytime, mix it up. Also if you have a tread mill, "walk" the dog on that to exercise him if you can't walk him.

It's good that you're doing courses with him. Do you do it in your yard, or do you take him somewhere to do it?

If you do it all in your yard, be may be getting bored with his yard and isn't necessarily jumping out at the people, but jumping out to go explore.

Have you thought about going to a few dog trainers and see what they say about it?