The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   For all you Computer genius's (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/all-you-computer-geniuss-78253/)

TheRoughrider21 02-10-2011 07:41 PM

For all you Computer genius's

My coputer keeps popping up with this message that says, "USB device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfuntioned, and Windows does now recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

I clicked it and nothing showed up. So I unplugged all of my USB cables and it continued popping up. Its not affecting my computer in anyway, just getting really annoying. Any ideas on how to make this go away?

jinxremoving 02-10-2011 08:24 PM

Does it popup for every USB device, or just one? If you're not sure, unplug them one by one and see which one causes the message to disappear. Then re-plug that device in and see if the message reappears?

Scoutrider 02-17-2011 04:54 PM

Are the USB port and plug both clean? Sometimes dirt/dust buildup, etc., can keep things from connecting cleanly, and cause an error to come up. According to my far more tech-savvy dad, sometimes the packaging process includes a protective film over the contacts that needs to be thoroughly wiped off, too.

My laptop has an external disk drive, and I have the option to connect it to the wall for power and then to the computer via USB, or to connect it with this funky combo-cable that is a USB plug with an additional pin mounted next to it to draw power from the laptop battery. The combo-cable gives me the same problem, and I almost never use it. :wink: About the only real fix I've found is to unplug it, blow out the plug, wipe the contacts with a soft cloth, and try again. Sometimes it takes a few attempts, but I can always eventually get it to connect that way.