The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   What do you think of this foal's jumping ability? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/what-do-you-think-foals-jumping-78300/)

equineverlasting 02-11-2011 09:04 AM

What do you think of this foal's jumping ability?

Link to video:

The first one, where she stopped, made me laugh. You could practically see her think, "Uh, why would I jump that? I can just walk out this way..." But in the other rounds... Well, what do you think?

ErikaLynn 02-11-2011 10:32 AM

Wow...that foal can jump. She looks really nice going over them

ShutUpJoe 02-11-2011 11:33 AM

She's a really good mover.

victorialicious7 02-11-2011 08:26 PM

I'm not the one to critique foals but I can tell that she has a natural ability to jump for sure, even though most foals can. But there is just something about her form and everything and she seems like she might have a bright future!

equiniphile 02-11-2011 08:41 PM

Excellent mover, great form for such a youngster!

twogeldings 02-11-2011 11:04 PM

Looks like you got a jumper on your hands :D

Of course, you'll want to be careful about jumping before five at the least :wink: Don't want to wear down those joints before their finished growing!

JustDressageIt 02-12-2011 12:16 AM

I think it's really a shame that people ask foals to jump. Yes, they run around like maniacs at times, and yes they find ways to hurt themselves, even if we were to bubblewrap them... but why on Earth would somone jump a 4 month old foal? It's strain on their limbs that they don't need. They don't know how to judge distance, not in the least - they're still in a gangly stage, learning where their feet are and how their legs work. They still get tangled up on their own feet. Why on Earth would anyone put them through even a semblance of a chute?
I can understand 2 and 3 year olds chute jumped once in a blue moon... they are more coordinated, and some sellers look at the movement and shape of the jump... but you CANNOT look at a 4 month old foal over a jump and judge ANYTHING. Of course they're going to overjump, but you cannot tell a single thing about form that young.
Beyond that, I wouldn't touch a foal jumped that young with a ten foot pole.

horseloverd2 02-12-2011 05:42 AM

I have to say I agree with JustDressageIt. You can't really tell how a horse is going to jump when they're so young. She looks great now, yeah, but that could change in a few years.

And, I don't know much about foals since I never raised one, but I don't think her legs are going to get much longer anyway. They will get more muscle, maybe slightly longer/taller, but not in comparison to the rest of her body. She has so little to lift now. Though I know you didn't make your horse jump this high, check out this video:

With their long legs and tiny bodies, I can imagine most foals are great jumpers.

JustDressageIt 02-12-2011 10:42 AM

That video makes me cringe. Why put a foal's legs through that?! It disgusts me. There is a reason children aren't subjected to rigorous exercise... growth plate damage. One would think humans could see the potential for damage for a foal.
Posted via Mobile Device

ErikaLynn 02-12-2011 12:15 PM

Jumping a few small jumps a couple times isn't going to hurt the foal.
Posted via Mobile Device