The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How do his feet look? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-do-his-feet-look-78346/)

trIplEcrOwngIrl 02-11-2011 08:00 PM

How do his feet look?

8 Attachment(s)
My horse Paradise is about 90 days off the track and we haven't done his feet yet during the month and a half he has been with us. The farrier pulled his shoes, the first week of January I think and he said that they had been done recently. The look to be in pretty good condition to me, just need a bit of a trim. I want to keep them looking good though and my dad will be trimming them, so what does he need to do to them? Are his heels alright? Frogs? Thanks for anyones help :)

P.S., sorry about the mud, snow's melting :)

MyBoyPuck 02-11-2011 09:25 PM

Has this horse foundered at all in the past? Those are some funky rings on his hooves. I can't give critique on the hooves since I'm still on the learning curve myself. I can say, if barefoot is working for him, don't let anyone convince you to put shoes on him!!! It caused me nothing but problems.

trIplEcrOwngIrl 02-11-2011 09:46 PM

Umm, I don't know if he has foundered or not. I don't know how he would have since he hasn't been turned out until I got him which was at the end of December and I don't think he would have foundered as a yearling if he had been turned out before racetraining. He seems to to fine barefoot, how would I know if he needed shoes or not? I wanted to put fronts on him just to be on the safe side but my dad just had the farrier pull them all.

xXEventerXx 02-11-2011 09:48 PM

from what i can see, his heels look wayy to long and tall. Do you have any pics from the side and on flat ground? I want to see what his bulbs look like and his heels.

trIplEcrOwngIrl 02-11-2011 10:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Umm, I've got these two pix but they aren't very good. I can get some in the net day or two when I go see him again.

flytobecat 02-11-2011 10:12 PM

Its hard to tell with the pictures you supplied. Can you take some more on a hard flat surface from the front, back, & sides.

trIplEcrOwngIrl 02-11-2011 10:18 PM

Yeah, I will try and get better pics in the next couple of days. Sorry about that :/.

xXEventerXx 02-11-2011 10:24 PM

Just from what i can tell, his hooves are to tall and upright, but i need a better pick from the front, Sides and back also if you can take a pic of the sole but looking down so i can see the heel and ect

trIplEcrOwngIrl 02-12-2011 01:09 AM

Ok, I'll make a note to get those type of pix :)

Also, does anyone know of a good website that explains how to trim your own horses hooves? I cannot find a good farrier and so I need to learn. Thanx!

MyBoyPuck 02-12-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trIplEcrOwngIrl (Post 925483)
He seems to to fine barefoot, how would I know if he needed shoes or not? I wanted to put fronts on him just to be on the safe side but my dad just had the farrier pull them all.

Already answered the question. You said he is fine barefoot, so leave him that way. It's better for the horse's feet. He will get better traction, not worse, by being barefoot.