The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need help with groundwork for my horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-help-groundwork-my-horse-7836/)

Gingerrrrr 04-12-2008 03:59 PM

Need help with groundwork for my horse.

okay, so im having second thoughts on selling my mare. i want to give her another chance. well she needs to have her ground work "tuned up" so to speak since she thinks she can drag me across the paddock. :roll: so im asking you guys for advice. i cannot afford to buy parelli or any of that stuff so tips would be very helpful. well today when i went to go see her i decided to give her a bath. i tied her up and started sponging her down. she was a wiggle worm (she DOES NOT like to stand still AT ALL) so when i was finished to let her dry out i was going to walk her around. instead she gets all prancy and trots around me like shes on a lunge line. then i walk her over to the grass to let her nibble and she pulls me like shes the one leading me! i do get a bit intimidated because she seems alot bigger then me and she can pull me. so a few times she did that i smacked her in the belly with the lead rope, didn't phase her. so i tried putting the lead rope around her nose because she knows what it meens. but everytime i tried shed throw up her head because she doesnt like the nose pressure (im taking her old owner use to do this also. so now im going to try and start using a rope halter. so any tips on how to do ground work with her? what should i start on? ive never done ground work with a horse before so i really need help! thanks.

tim 04-12-2008 04:34 PM

First I would advise you to stop grazing her in hand. At least until you get her behaving better, maybe permanently.

Gingerrrrr 04-13-2008 10:50 AM

alrite thanks Tim.

anyone else??

JustDressageIt 04-13-2008 12:35 PM

When she starts dragging you, pull her around in a circle and lead her in the direction you want to go; disengage her hindquarter and make her listen to you.
I might suggest investing in a rope halter as well.

kitten_Val 04-14-2008 08:53 AM

Completely agree with tim. I did the same mistake letting my horse graze to calm her down and it got really worse up to the point she tried to strike at me when I don't let her to. Took me time to establish the respect back.

When she tried to run around me I move her hindquarters and make her BACK the way we were going. Usually couple steps backwards help her realize she gonna move that direction anyway.

ColleenT 04-14-2008 09:46 AM

agree with Tim. Also, if you are being dragged ANYWHERE, you need to carry a crop, and give her a good smack (NEVER in the head), but in the chest or shoulder, so she stops, then ask her to BACK UP. you need to make sure she is respecting you on the ground. you can do easy practice stuff on the ground, so she leads next to you, quietly, and if she doesn't, she has to be reminded. the crop can be carried, does not often need to be used. but if you use it, think like a horse, just a swift smack. in the wild the herd leader gives a bite, or a kick, in a quick motion. no threatening with their voice, no 2nd chances, just DO it and get it over-with. no need to yell, no need to speak. that is what a horse understands. Grazing is only allowed after ground manners improve, and then that is another test, b/c that is when she will really try to misbehave.

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-14-2008 01:10 PM

Well put ^, :) I'd add a $8 rope halter to your shopping list. It made a big difference with twister who is a grazeaholic :shock: . He didn't like it at first but got used to it within about 100 yards of walking.
I'd start with walking slow and establishing a solid stop at random times. If there is any question in her actions it should be followed up with a back or circle...Let her figure out that y'all are gonna walk together where YOU want to go When you want to go. Don't forget the praise when she TRIES...even if its just a try and work up from there.

DJW247 04-14-2008 10:37 PM

OK. Respect appears to be an issue here, and sorry to say, but frustration then follows. One thing, she needs to look for you for her next move, give her the direction she wants (needs to take.) Reward good behavior, and get after her when she displays bad by making her work, and move. The key is releasing the pressure the second she gives you the right answer and you know she "got it." If you tell her to stop moving, the minute you know she's thinking of moving even her shoulder or foot, get after her. If she doesn't respond to a smack in the belly, make her turn her head or do a tight circle by applying pressure though the halter or snaffle bit. Reward her by releasing the pressure when she turns her head or gives to the bit. A horse needs to learn the right answer by doing it at least 1,000 times. Horses are extremely smart, and you need to stay a step ahead of them. Does she disrespect you? Sorry, but from what I read, yes. When horses know you are fearful, they know they are in charge and you aren't. (Hence, "pecking order") Take a deep breath and get some confidence that you can control her by asking her to do small tasks and then working your way up. I am optimistic you can do this! :D

love-a-hero 04-15-2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJW247
OK. Respect appears to be an issue here, and sorry to say, but frustration then follows. One thing, she needs to look for you for her next move, give her the direction she wants (needs to take.) Reward good behavior, and get after her when she displays bad by making her work, and move. The key is releasing the pressure the second she gives you the right answer and you know she "got it." If you tell her to stop moving, the minute you know she's thinking of moving even her shoulder or foot, get after her. If she doesn't respond to a smack in the belly, make her turn her head or do a tight circle by applying pressure though the halter or snaffle bit. Reward her by releasing the pressure when she turns her head or gives to the bit. A horse needs to learn the right answer by doing it at least 1,000 times. Horses are extremely smart, and you need to stay a step ahead of them. Does she disrespect you? Sorry, but from what I read, yes. When horses know you are fearful, they know they are in charge and you aren't. (Hence, "pecking order") Take a deep breath and get some confidence that you can control her by asking her to do small tasks and then working your way up. I am optimistic you can do this! :D

Well said. I also agree with Tim. if you do have to hand graze her, if she pulls, pull her head back, and also carry a crop and slap her on her rump and yell.
Make sure you are the boss.............Dont think otherwise!!!! :wink:

Gingerrrrr 04-15-2008 10:33 AM

yea she knows shes stronger then me and can pull me, i tried to pull her back up and she just kept throwing her head down every time i stopped walking. :evil: