The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Miniture horse Sheding Help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/miniture-horse-sheding-help-78408/)

Prayingcowgirl 02-12-2011 05:24 PM

Miniture horse Sheding Help?

I have two Minis, And it is a challenge to get the shed. Sometimes they never even get there. What should i do to get them to shed? I don't know about clipping them, But i think that could be the Anser. I don't want to mess them up and have them looking bad all summer. Any ideas?
I am posting this early (before sheding season) So i can get my stuff together.

Azale1 02-13-2011 12:19 AM

Typically you don't want to clip after mid Jan. Or else you are pretty much commited to clipping all summer because believe it or not they do begin to shed and grow in the new coat at this time as the days begin to get longer very slowly. Might not be shedding a decent amount right now but he is. Unfortunately with Minis they have VERY thick coats and it just takes time and work to get them all shedded out. I remember when I showed them it took me several hours over several weeks to get them to shed out completely. Just have to religiously work at it every day.

myhorsesonador 02-13-2011 12:26 AM

you should look into geting a *slick n, easy* stone. There amazing! I think you can get them at tractor supply?

Prayingcowgirl 02-13-2011 09:35 AM

Yes- i do have a slick&easy brush, and it is a help. I am not looking to shed in the winter, But the summer. They never really shed and sometimes they never completly shed at all. I basicly pull of wads of hair, brush it off and all the works every day. It takes a long time. Any other tools you'd use?

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 02-13-2011 07:25 PM

Hi Prayingcowgirl,

I have minis, and you are right, they never really do get shed out all the way... (I guess in some climates they might?)

After vowing I would never body-clip my minis, I have to admit that I do now!
Boy, the first year I had them, I brushed, and curried, and finger-plucked, and used a shedding block, day after day, after day.....
Finally had nice shiny, slick little men, and then literally a month later they started getting in their winter coats!
Eeesh! :shock:

So now as soon as I know our winter weather is truly gone I am more than happy to whip those clippers right out!

Don't worry too much about how they are going to look right away.
After about two weeks they look pretty good and blended, even if you do not manage a really great clip job.
Just practice, you will be surprised how quickly you will get the hang of it!

Prayingcowgirl 02-14-2011 08:35 AM

Thanks so much !!! I think i will get some clippers. What clipper number thingy should i use?

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 02-14-2011 11:27 AM

Welcome :D
I am sure there are different preferences, but here are the basics....
Blades are numbered, with a number 10 blade being a coarse cut - for basic leg trimming, and a size 40 blade is almost a surgical clip - it will shave the hair down to skin level. My personal preference is to use a number 15 blade for "every-day" clipping.

I also found I really like the ceramic blades. They
seemed to stay sharper longer, and they definitely stayed cooler much longer.
Made the job go much quicker!

Prayingcowgirl 02-15-2011 08:58 AM

OK wuold Tracktor supply have the clippers i need? Thanks so much

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 02-15-2011 04:14 PM

Um, I think Tractor Supply pretty much carries similar stuff to our store here, Murdochs. :wink:
If so then you should find clippers and blades in their Equine section.

You might also look at Googling around some, you might find better prices, just have to shop and compare 'cause you almost always have to ad shipping charges on.
I'm trying to think off the top of my head where you could look....
Maybe try Jeffers, Horse.com, Stateline Tack, those kind of places?
Happy Hunting!

Prayingcowgirl 02-15-2011 06:27 PM

Thanks SO much :)