The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Severe thrush HELP!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/severe-thrush-help-78452/)

melody123 02-13-2011 10:05 AM

Severe thrush HELP!!!!

My horse was being stubborn for the last few days, and when I got on her she would move a few steps and stop. so I diciplined her by saying "No" in a firm voice, and she would do the same, walk and then stop. then I checked her feet to see if she was lame, and her frog was a reddish blackish color and smelled bad. Can it be thrush and if it is how can I cure it.

P.S. I live out in the country and I am far from town so I need a home remidie A.S.A.P

ShinaKonga 02-13-2011 11:30 AM

I've heard spraying vinegar on the frog will help... But don't take my word for it before researching it a little more. I think it was either helping thrush or preventing it, either one of those.

My Beau 02-13-2011 11:59 AM

Do an "apple cider vinegar" search one here - pretty sure that's been discussed as a remedy in a lot of thrush threads.

I personally use a betadine/water mixture - if you have that on hand.

WalkerLady 02-13-2011 12:02 PM

I've used liquid Lysol successfully. A couple ounces in a quart of water, soaked for 20 minutes at a time at least once a day. But my horse's thrush was very mild, I caught it early. I don't know how it will do with a more serious case like you describe.

Maverick101 02-13-2011 03:28 PM

You've got some good advice.
I too have heard of the lysol as a home remedy.

I would suggest the next time you're in town ensure you stock up on all sorts of horse type meds etc, so that when you're in a pinch such as this you're not in a bind. :)

Trinity3205 02-14-2011 01:46 AM

When you go to town invest in thrushbuster. Apply daily to sevier thrush instead of weekly like it says in the bottle. Best stuff out there currently that doesnt harm healthy frog and kills everything I have put it against.

Hanover 02-14-2011 12:41 PM

This is labor intensive but I highly recommend giving it a try three times a day if possible but if not......daily.
Pick out the hooves.
Scrub clean getting into every crevice. Use an old dandy brush or scrub brush. Use warm water if possible and add a squirt of anti-biotic dish soap such as Dawn.
Rinse with clear water and pat dry.
Spray with a mixture of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and teatree oil. (Mix up a batch using ten to fifteen drops of TTO to about four cups of ACV).

Something that is very good is to use the anti-biotic that is used to treat mastitis in cows. One treatment over three or four days using two tubes should make a difference. Sorry, the name eludes me right now....maybe DryCow or something like that.

Hope this is of some use to you. I had very good results with the scrubbing and spraying daily. At the very least.......be sure to pick out the hooves daily!

Kymbadina 02-14-2011 12:46 PM

When we bought my gelding he had a split in all 4 heels and horrible thrush in it. My farrier told me to use a mastitis treatment. BEST THRUSH KILLER EVER! There are many different brand names. Just google a mastitis treatment. Its in a tube about 2 dollars per tube(much cheaper than commercial thrush treatments) it is used to kill infection in cows teats. So it is a medicine but percectly healthy for hooves. It has a small little flexible plastic needle to get into small places and is a gooey thick consistency. One tube I applied everyday until the tube was gone. He hasn't had thrus since.
We do a matinence of lysol water. Lysol concentrate for 5 dollars at a hardware store. Makes 5 gallons of lysol water. So just a few drops per spray bottle and we spray him at least 3 times a week. More when its sloppy spring weather. I swear by this routine.
Posted via Mobile Device

shaggy 02-16-2011 12:23 AM

House hold bleach will work wonders on thrush.Just put it in a spray bottle and spray you horse's hooves every day for a week.

HollyBubbles 02-16-2011 01:19 AM

Iodine!! when we first got my miniature horse she was horribly obese, and had severe thrush in all four hooves. I would go out once or sometimes twice a day, pick out her hooves and spray iodine on them... But I have been told it can sting the coronet bands so be carefull it doesn't go over them.
When I sprayed it on I would stand her on a concrete yard and then spray them, then wait for a few minutes. It was literally gone within a few days.

To those saying apple cidar vinegar... I haven't heard of that one but I know it definately cures Grass staggers to those that know what staggers is.