The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Shedding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/shedding-78461/)

Sarahandlola 02-13-2011 12:45 PM

Shedding

Lola has finally started shedding! So I am wondering how long does it take them to fully shed and what can I do to speed it up?

equiniphile 02-13-2011 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
How long it takes usually depends on your climate and breed of horse, but for us, the horses are fuzzy in April and glossy and sleek in may or june. To speed it up, groom every day, or as often as you can, to get all the loose hair out.

Here's Artie April 24:

Attachment 55475

And Artie June 24:

Attachment 55476

Wallaby 02-13-2011 01:47 PM

Lacey is shedding too! :D

Around here, shedding is usually done in late April/early May. But it really depends on how many daylight hours your horse is getting. So, if he/she is under lights, he/she will shed a lot faster than a pasture kept horse. I've found that using a shedding blade daily really helps and once she's about half-way shed out, I usually give her the first bath of the season which takes care of a lot of hair.

Sarahandlola 02-14-2011 02:00 PM

I spent an hour on her neck with a rubber curry comb. So much hair came out but it looks like nothing did XD

She has been kept in these last few days that is probably why she has started.

lilruffian 02-14-2011 02:10 PM

Metal shedding brushes/blades work very well. I also use a rubber curry as most horses like it better & it really does a good job.

ErikaLynn 02-14-2011 02:50 PM

Shedding starts when the days start getting longer. So my mare was shedding in December. I use a shedding blade on her, and vacuum her to get all that loose hair out. It's starting to seem like the hair is not coming out as much now, but it is annoying, I have hair every where.