The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Bareback... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/bareback-78471/)

AppyLuva 02-13-2011 03:16 PM

Bareback...

It's been years since I first rode a horse bareback. I first rode bareback in 5th grade and I haven't rode bareback since. At the stable I was told that I did really good and had great balance, but that was on their horse. I want to ride bareback on Quinn and I'm unsure if he's ever been ridden bareback before. Are there any tips for making sure both Quinn and I are safe that you can share?

equiniphile 02-13-2011 03:21 PM

If you have access to a round pen where you can be in an enclosed space if something goes wrong, that would be great. Having someone on hand to give you a leg up and lead the horse around until you're both comfortable works too.

Bareback is a ton of fun, Artie and I go for bareback gallops all the time in the back fields.

MagicAmigo92 02-13-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppyLuva (Post 927099)
It's been years since I first rode a horse bareback. I first rode bareback in 5th grade and I haven't rode bareback since. At the stable I was told that I did really good and had great balance, but that was on their horse. I want to ride bareback on Quinn and I'm unsure if he's ever been ridden bareback before. Are there any tips for making sure both Quinn and I are safe that you can share?

I know how this is, you feel unsure about getting on a horse that you don't know has been ridden bare back. When I first started I used a stool that way it was easy to get on and off. First, get on the stool and lean on his back and act like you are going to get up there. Keep doing this until he does not flinch or put his ears back. Once you are both comfortable get on his back and just sit. Don't move or anything and talk to him. Once you feel comfortable with that flex his head from side to side. This gets his mind focused on you. Whenever you are ready take baby steps until you are walking with ease. You may want to have someone there in case you fall or something. And also wear a helmet until you are fully confident.

But keep in mind bareback should only be done at home or in a closed fenced in yard not for trail rides. And I do not recommend bareback saddles, riders to often find them selves stuck and tangled in the stirrups. It hurts for a moment to fall, but who know how long a horse will drag you.

I hope this was helpful :-)

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3...ebeccas056.jpg

This shows the flexing and bending.

equiniphile 02-13-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicAmigo92 (Post 927109)
But keep in mind bareback should only be done at home or in a closed fenced in yard not for trail rides. And I do not recommend bareback saddles, riders to often find them selves stuck and tangled in the stirrups. It hurts for a moment to fall, but who know how long a horse will drag you.

I disagree, once you and your horse feel comfortable bareback, it's fine to trail ride without a saddle. Heck, I ride without a bridle half the time.

Also, bareback pads come without stirrups ;-)

MagicAmigo92 02-13-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 927112)
I disagree, once you and your horse feel comfortable bareback, it's fine to trail ride without a saddle. Heck, I ride without a bridle half the time.

True, but there is no denying that you have less control when you ride bareback. if a horse spooks out of nowhere and jumps to the side, regardless of how comfortable you are, you will fall off. However, if you keep a tight grip with your legs constantly then I guess you wont have that problem, but you never know what can happen. I know tons of experienced riders that have fallen off because they got too comfortable on a trail and the horse spooked and they came right off. I'm not saying it's terrible to ride on a trail bareback, I've done it plenty of times, but the safest way is with a saddle (western saddle is what I'm implying). I have no clue about riding english on a trail.

AppyLuva 02-13-2011 05:41 PM

This is going to take place in the round pen our BO recently built. I've already let the BO know that I'm going to be out there and I'm going to bring my dad with me just in case something goes wrong. There is a stool already in the round pen for people to use, but I'd rather get my dad to give me a lift. I will be sure to take baby steps and thanks for giving me information. Any more advice is always welcome. :D

mom2pride 02-13-2011 06:32 PM

I logged soooooo many hours bareback when I was growing up, not to mention on every horse up til my current mare, who is just not smooth enough for it to be comfortable for either of us. I went everywhere, and never stayed "home" bareback...ROFL! I also did everything bareback that I did in the saddle...jumping, racing, and honestly, I think I did those things better without the saddle! I have stayed on through bucks and nasty spooks, so it's not impossible; though for the average rider, I would say you might fall off...I have been on horses since I was old enough to waddle, so...it really does depend alot on how good your balance AND your read on the horse.

mom2pride 02-13-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppyLuva (Post 927238)
This is going to take place in the round pen our BO recently built. I've already let the BO know that I'm going to be out there and I'm going to bring my dad with me just in case something goes wrong. There is a stool already in the round pen for people to use, but I'd rather get my dad to give me a lift. I will be sure to take baby steps and thanks for giving me information. Any more advice is always welcome. :D

On this...if your horse is used to walking up to a mounting block I would use the stool; walk him up to it, step up, rub him all over, maybe lean over him, rub him some more, then get off block and walk around the round pen a bit...maybe do some ground exercises, just to work his brain a bit. Just get him used to the idea of you being above him without a saddle before hopping up...I am guessing if he was used alot before you got him he has probably been barebacked before...but just do some desensitization before, just to make sure, then just get on and ride, don't make a big deal out of it, and the biggest thing is to just remain calm.

AppyLuva 02-13-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2pride (Post 927310)
On this...if your horse is used to walking up to a mounting block I would use the stool; walk him up to it, step up, rub him all over, maybe lean over him, rub him some more, then get off block and walk around the round pen a bit...maybe do some ground exercises, just to work his brain a bit. Just get him used to the idea of you being above him without a saddle before hopping up...I am guessing if he was used alot before you got him he has probably been barebacked before...but just do some desensitization before, just to make sure, then just get on and ride, don't make a big deal out of it, and the biggest thing is to just remain calm.

To be honest I'm not sure what he was used for besides trail riding before I bought him. I'm sure that at one point in time he was ridden bareback, but I'll take caution just to make sure. I'll remain calm because if I don't Quinn won't be calm.

smrobs 02-13-2011 08:24 PM

Yep, just take it slow and let him get accustomed to the different feel of bareback. Once you are both comfortable with it, there is no reason why you can't go and do whatever you want to do bareback. I have probably logged just as many miles bareback as I have in a saddle. As for the risk of falling off, well that's always there. In all my life of riding, I've hit the ground hard a lot more times coming out of the saddle than I ever did bareback LOL.

Good thing about bareback is that horses have an Oh S**t handle built in LOL. If you feel uncomfortable or off balance, just grab a handful of mane for security.

I find the only use for bareback pads is to keep the butt of your pants from turning brown from the dirt (or if you have a bony butt or the horse has a bony back, then it's more comfortable).