The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Picking up feet over jumps... (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/picking-up-feet-over-jumps-7848/)

aslanzroar_ 04-12-2008 11:46 PM

Picking up feet over jumps...

I'm sure this is somewhere else in the forum, but because I couldn't find it, I've decided to ask myself. So, my ottb, Aslan, has been going over just little jumps. Even just grounds poles, to about 10 inches. The problem is, she doesn't seem to pick up her feet when she goes over. I realize that this is small, but seriously, she just knocks the pole right over! I've been told fillers might work, but would that even be possible for such a small jumps? I'm just lunging her over them right now, walk, and trot (though quite frequently she attempts to canter over them - in which she loves), and riding her over at a walk and trot. I honestly have no clue what to do, because I've never trained a horse over jumps that doesn't leap! over them. Any advice? Please and thak you, always.

jazzyrider 04-13-2008 01:08 AM

my mare used to do the same thing and i fixed that by giving her a little squeeze or tap with the crop just a second before she jumped. this helped her figure out what she had to do and ever since she picks up her feet well :) i also find she tends to pick up her feet even better since we have started to go up in height a little.

also placing a pole in front of the jump to teach her where to jump is a good idea too :)

how old is your mare?

brittx6x6 04-13-2008 05:17 PM

Putting ground poles on a fence will help but when you are riding you need to squeeze to help her. It doesn't matter if its a horse that knows what it is doing or a green horse who has no idea you have to help. You squeeze with your legs to let them know "ok its time to jump" if not then they will either blow through the jump (sounds like your horse) or start taking off when they want too not when you tell them.

Skivvers 04-13-2008 07:35 PM

I agree with britt, I kiss and squeeze with my legs when I want my horse to jump. Try putting a pole a couple inches in front of the jump. maybe you said that it was 10? inches. wasn't sure if that was the height.. :? If you do decide to try fillers, if you can't find small enough ones, try buying small fake potted plants or large fake flowers and just tuck them under and decorate it however you like. It's always fun :P

3days3ways 04-18-2008 12:13 AM

Hi, I would try setting up gymnastics because even if they are super small she'll still have to be careful where she puts her hooves! itll also improve he confidence

also, for when you are jumping her, make sure your body is not inhibiting her. try to not jump ahead of her, because especially with new jumpers who are super sensitive, if you put your body forward out of balance, it could effect her so se hits the rails with her front legs. sitting up too soon is for them chipping hte rails with their back legs

hope it goes well and keep us updated!

love-a-hero 04-18-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3days3ways
Hi, I would try setting up gymnastics because even if they are super small she'll still have to be careful where she puts her hooves! itll also improve he confidence

also, for when you are jumping her, make sure your body is not inhibiting her. try to not jump ahead of her, because especially with new jumpers who are super sensitive, if you put your body forward out of balance, it could effect her so se hits the rails with her front legs. sitting up too soon is for them chipping hte rails with their back legs

hope it goes well and keep us updated!

Agreed. Also could be a balance thing. Horses that havnt jumped much (or are young) struggle to find there feet. As 3days3ways mentioned, gymnastic excercises are useful, in gaining confidance as well as her finding her feet. Lots of trot poles, and different excercises should improve her.