The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Racks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-racks-78494/)

Pizzamancer 02-13-2011 08:44 PM

Saddle Racks

We need to clean up our office and make space for 2 more saddles. I did a bit of searching on the internet,and a local (Japan) company has these for sale:

http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goodsimg/j-...890/main-s.jpg(H5890 サドルラック(壁向き))

The site is in Japanese, but I am sure you get the idea. I was wondering if anyone has used these (or something similar), and how they worked out. Are there better options out there?

smrobs 02-13-2011 08:56 PM

I plan to order some that are very similar to that to put in my tack room. I am assuming that those are english saddle racks, correct? In my opinion, the only ones that are better are the ones that are collapsible so that you can fold them down out of the way when you are not using them.

These are the ones that I am talking about.
Folding English Saddle Rack: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com

Of course, something like that is all a matter of preference.

Ladytrails 02-13-2011 08:57 PM

We have 3 of these and have them mounted to a 12x6 board in the tack room. We bought them in the US and they weren't very expensive ($15 approx) but have worked well for us.

Pizzamancer 02-13-2011 09:00 PM

Looking over the web site, they didn't mention anything about the racks being English or Western. They aren't open today, so I couldn't ask over the phone either. Is it going to make a difference?

smrobs 02-13-2011 09:06 PM

Well, you cannot put a western saddle on a rack designed for english saddles. Mainly because the shape and weight is completely different and a western saddle does not need support in the same places as an english saddle. Are you looking for a western saddle rack? The one that they show a smaller picture of at the bottom of the page on the website you posted would be considered a "western" saddle rack.

Pizzamancer 02-13-2011 09:49 PM

Thanks. The one at the bottom is actually what I found when I did a google search. They only had two in stock and I need 9 though.

And yes, they are going to be used to store western saddles. We re-doing the tack room to accommodate 2 more saddles, and cut down on clutter. The plan is to make a 3x3 grid on the wall.

smrobs 02-13-2011 09:55 PM

Aha. I don't know what is available to you in Japan, or even what types of saddles you have (a working saddle that weighs 30 pounds or more would likely need a heavy duty saddle rack).

These are the saddle racks that I plan to get, I don't know if you would be able to find something similar or not.
Easy-Upョ Fold Down Western & English Saddle Rack in Saddle/Tack Units at Schneider Saddlery

Those are sturdy enough to hold up even the heaviest of saddles.

kitten_Val 02-13-2011 09:57 PM

I have this one: Three Tier Saddle Rack with Vented Blanket Rack - 2200347 | Tractor Supply Company for several years and absolutely love it (delivery free if one orders to the local TSC). I keep my western and both english there.

Pizzamancer 02-14-2011 01:59 AM

Okay. From the pics alone those look a lot sturdier than the one I found here in Japan (too bad we have no local TSC, free delivery to Japan would be great). Our saddles are mostly Abetta western saddles.

A second question, although I think I know the answer, should I think about just buying wood and making something myself?

smrobs 02-14-2011 02:03 AM

That is a possibility if you are good with working wood. I'm not so I would never dream of something like that LOL. We had 2 handmade wooden saddle racks in our old tack room, but they were braced against the floor; more like saddle stands that happened to be nailed to the wall. I am sure there would be a way to do it, but I'm not sure how to make a free-hanging wall rack out of wood so that you could stack them on top of each other.