The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Which would you get? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/would-you-get-78495/)

MyBoyPuck 02-13-2011 08:14 PM

Which would you get?

So, to my delight, I've discovered that I have the option of either a bumper pull or gooseneck in the used price range I am looking in. To all of you with trailers, which would you get if you had the choice? I've got a 3/4 Chevy, so it can tow either easily. I'm going mostly to local shows, but possibly the occasional overnight camping trip. This would be my first trailer if that makes any difference.

MIEventer 02-13-2011 08:57 PM

Well, everyone I know, owns Goosnecks - if that helps at all? lol.

I do not own my own rig - but I imagine myself getting a bumper pull, they appear to be easier - but whenever I talk about it with other horse folk, they say "Once you go Gooseneck, you wont go back"

I do like the bed option that the gooseneck gives you!

kitten_Val 02-13-2011 09:06 PM

I have BP and 1/2 ton truck. If I'd have a better truck and little more money I'd go with GN. I think they are more stable and easy to handle (turn, backup, etc.) on road. Also not sure if you consider it or not look into one with the dressing room (if your finance allows it). That's a very handy thing to have! :)

smrobs 02-13-2011 09:12 PM

Me, personally, I prefer a gooseneck. However, that is what I learned to drive. We just got our first bumper pull a few years ago and I am constantly jack-knifing the silly thing when I try to back it up. However, if you pull a gooseneck, you have to take your corners wider to keep from running the trailer tires over a curb, or a sign, or another car that happens to be beside you LOL. With a bumper pull, it follows in the path of your truck and you can make sharper turns without dragging your trailer over things. If you are going to be doing a lot of driving in a city or somewhere with a lot of dense traffic, you would probably be more comfortable with a bumper pull. With a gooseneck, you have to be much more cautious. On the other hand, if you have a bumper pull like I do, which is a stock type, you always have to make sure that the front is loaded heavier than the back. If you put more weight in the back, then it can pick up the rear end of your truck and cause you to have a wreck. I know a guy here in town that has totaled 2 rigs because he did that:roll:.

wyominggrandma 02-13-2011 09:28 PM

Gooseneck all the way. I have had both and pulled both and the gooseneck is so much easier to pull, turn, manuver and haul. I have a 3/4 ton Chevy 4 door truck and pull a three horse Circle J trailer. My husbands truck is a 1/2 ton Chevy and has NO issue pulling this trailer either.

RitzieAnn 02-13-2011 11:13 PM

I have only ever hauled a bumper pull. I would sure consider a gooseneck, but then I could never have my canopy on if I tow. My dog rides in the back when the canopy is on (Great Dane). That extra space though would be awesome!

With a BP trailer, you can tow it with any hauling capable rig. So, if you ever loan it out, or use a different truck for any reason, you are ready. Is your truck already equipped to haul a GN trailer? If not, how much will it cost to get the kit installed?
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 02-13-2011 11:17 PM

GN hitch is about $700 around here. I just located a BP trailer just 20 minutes up the road, so I'm going to take a look at it. If a good trailer comes up at a good price, I'm going to jump on it regardless of which style it is. Does sound like many prefer GN's though.

WickedNag 02-14-2011 07:15 AM

I would spend the extra and put the hitch in. I have owned one bumper pull and three goosenecks. The first three were pulled with a Dodge 1500 manual transmission. Our local trailer sales put a used hitch in the bed for $250 installed. It was a great buy. I love the way a gooseneck pulls, backups, turns :)
The first two trailers were both two horse, the third a stock combo three horse.

I now drive a Ford F250 that was hopped up at the factory to pull. And pull it does :) I have a 4 horse gooseneck I pull now. Love it!

MIEventer 02-14-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

you have to take your corners wider to keep from running the trailer tires over a curb, or a sign, or another car that happens to be beside you LOL.

LOL smrobs! I am chuckling here, picturing you doing these things during your growing pangs of learning to haul a trailer.

I anxiously await for my turn. lol

apachiedragon 02-14-2011 10:12 AM

I like my GN much better than the bumper pulls I've used. It just feels so much more stable.