The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Hackamore VS. the Bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hackamore-vs-bit-7851/)

free_sprtd 04-13-2008 12:57 AM

Hackamore VS. the Bit

Which do you prefer?? I'm not sure if there is a benefit in using one over the other. What is your insight, and what do you prefer?

SonnyWimps 04-13-2008 06:52 PM

I personally perfer the bit over the hackamore. I've used both (not on Sonny though) and I find the horse responds better to a bit than a hackamore...at least the ones I've rode with both do.
I haven't tried it on Sonny, but I don't really intend to. I use a snaffle on him and he is a dream in that....so I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

JustDressageIt 04-13-2008 07:45 PM

Personally I like riding in a bit when I'm using a bridle, as it allows me to feel the pressure on the tongue and I can really get a feel of what I'm doing. I have nothing against hackamores though!
All in all, I love riding bareback with a halter...

hunterequlover781 04-13-2008 07:49 PM

I use bits because we jump and show. We always start beginner riders in hackamores though. It keeps them from unintentionally pulling on the horses mouth.

Bitless 04-14-2008 06:38 AM

Well ill have to say hackamore...but because im a bitless rider...but i own both hackamore and crossover ( crossover being the main preference).

But yea hackamores arnt for every horse. I used a english hackamore on my TB and found him way to sensative to it, but put it on my other horse and he went perfectly in it....so yea. But i still back hackamores up :D ( minus mechanical ones :wink: )

kitten_Val 04-14-2008 09:03 AM

I broke mine with hackamore, but later switched to bit since they learn to turn and all. I'm not sure I can show in hackamore in local shows.

PoptartShop 04-14-2008 11:10 AM

Bit. I've never used a hackamore, though. ;)
There's better contact with a bit in my opinion, which I like. I agree, the horse also responds better, & with jumping & all.

free_sprtd 04-14-2008 06:38 PM

Ok so breaking a horse that learns REALLY fast? which do you think would be better? my guy is pretty sensitive in the rope halter, and has tried a bit and does fine too.

JustDressageIt 04-14-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free_sprtd
Ok so breaking a horse that learns REALLY fast? which do you think would be better? my guy is pretty sensitive in the rope halter, and has tried a bit and does fine too.

Honestly, sounds like a matter of personal opinion. Some people would argue that a hackamore saves a horse's mouth, but then again getting them used to the bit (and working on it) is also advantageous.
Sorry I didn't help!!

free_sprtd 04-14-2008 08:02 PM

hahhaha it's ok! lol ill prob just end up getting both and seeing which one he likes/responds to better.