The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Microchips (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/microchips-78556/)

horsplay 02-14-2011 04:13 PM

Microchips

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but the "Have you ever lost your horse?" thread made me think about this. Has anyone here micro-chipped your horse? I have heard it can be done and in the completely awful chance that a horse is stolen or lost or turned loose becouse of fire or other horrible reasons I am thinking it might be a good idea. The city I live in requires one for my dog so she already has one and it was no big deal and not too expensive.... What are your thoughts?

ErikaLynn 02-14-2011 04:37 PM

I know by Dutch law it was made illegal to brand horses, so they microchip them instead. Not because they get lost, but it acts like a brand.

Micro chipping does sound like a good idea, if the horse runs away, get stolen, etc.

ButtInTheDirt 02-16-2011 09:39 PM

I was thinking about that when I read that thread, also. I think it would be a great idea. Because just like dogs, someone could easily take off a collar, or the dog could loose it's tags, or someone could tattoo over a dog's tattoo identification.

And if your horse is lost, you might be able to get some sort of tracking-device type thing in the chip. That part might be expensive, though. I don't even know if it exists in a small size.

But all nonsense aside, this is defiantely something trail-riders and most horse owners should have. ^^

Paint Mom 02-16-2011 09:58 PM

I would never microchip any of my animals.

smrobs 02-16-2011 10:23 PM

For the time being, with the horse system like it is, micro-chipping is still fairly rare. Mostly it's racing TBs that are equipped with chips. Most auction houses around here don't have scanners and even if they did, it's unlikely that they would scan every horse going through on the off chance they would catch a stolen one.

For my money, branding is still the way to go. I prefer freeze-branding since it shows up better on darker colored horses and it's also almost pain-free, whereas hot branding is not. It's much easier for inspectors at auctions to just watch for a particular brand on horses running through rather than stop and get close enough to scan them individually.

Also, if something were to happen and your horse got lost, which betters the chance of someone recognizing it and calling you "Lost: bay horse with 2 white stockings and a star" or "Lost: bay horse with 2 white stockings, a star, and a freeze brand of Lazy JR on his left shoulder"?

QOS 02-16-2011 11:39 PM

Our gelding Sarge has two brands....a 2 on his front left shoulder and a R/R on his left hip. 2 for the year he was foaled and R/R for Ray and Ruby - they used to own Sarge. LOL He never registered Sarge in his name but he did brand him. As Sarge is a solid bay with the tiny exception of a white mark about the size of a dime in his forehead - the brands make it pretty clear that 2 R/R is Sargent San Peppy! Biscuit doesn't have any brands or markings. My former horse had his upper lip tattoo'ed as he was a former race horse.

dressagebelle 02-17-2011 12:20 AM

Here in Southern California at least, most vets now automatically will scan a new horse they go out to see, especially after the fires we had a few years back where some horses were burned bad enough that even some sort of brand would have been burned off or unrecognizable. When I got my Arabian, one of the first things I did was microchip her. Even if it still isn't quite as reliable as microchipping a dog or cat, its still definitely better than nothing, and as she's a grey horse, freeze branding would be useless. For that matter, I've seen a few warmbloods that have been hot branded for whatever registry they are, and I have had to be told, and have had to get extremely close to be able to see even part of it at all. I personally think that if no one microchips their horse because it isn't "common", then vets aren't ever going to start checking to see if horses are chipped, but if you get more people asking just on the off chance that it may help, then more vets are going to be willing to get the scanners, to scan every horse they see, and to offer it as just another normal procedure like they do in most vet offices. Around here it is very standard for a small animal vet to ask you if you want your animal microchipped at your first appointment, or ask if your animal already is, and get the number for their records. I would like to see that become the practice for horses as well. Here in Southern Cali, its not as easy to get a horse branded as it is to get them microchipped. I have honestly never heard of anyone who's gotten their horse branded just for recognition, all the brands I have seen have been on working ranch horses who came generally from ranches in other states, and were already branded. Sorry for such a long post to answer a simple question lol.

Sarahandlola 02-17-2011 05:23 AM

It is the law to microchip a horse in Ireland

Zora 02-17-2011 08:00 AM

We have never lost a horse, we've had one get out of an electric fence but they were caught and brought back right away. I would never have any horse/animal microchipped, but possibly a freeze brand if it was needed.

VelvetsAB 02-17-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 931266)
For the time being, with the horse system like it is, micro-chipping is still fairly rare. Mostly it's racing TBs that are equipped with chips. Most auction houses around here don't have scanners and even if they did, it's unlikely that they would scan every horse going through on the off chance they would catch a stolen one.

For my money, branding is still the way to go. I prefer freeze-branding since it shows up better on darker colored horses and it's also almost pain-free, whereas hot branding is not. It's much easier for inspectors at auctions to just watch for a particular brand on horses running through rather than stop and get close enough to scan them individually.

Also, if something were to happen and your horse got lost, which betters the chance of someone recognizing it and calling you "Lost: bay horse with 2 white stockings and a star" or "Lost: bay horse with 2 white stockings, a star, and a freeze brand of Lazy JR on his left shoulder"?

Great post.

I have to agree with this. Hopefully, if I ever have my own farm...they will be branded. If there is the availability to freeze brand them just like a hot brand (ranch type brand) I would definitely be doing this.