The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How do you prepare for a show? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-do-you-prepare-show-78559/)

ropergirl 02-14-2011 05:32 PM

How do you prepare for a show?

If you want to share how you do,or just look at others,feel free to post and view!!! :)

justjump 02-14-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ropergirl (Post 928449)
If you want to share how you do,or just look at others,feel free to post and view!!! :)

After I school my horse or lunge in the morning:
1. Make sure my horse is groomed, watered, braids are still in.
2. Put in my fake tail, and apply any other "cosmetic" needs to my horse.
3. Do my hair and makeup (and others if they need help:-) )
4. Make sure all my tack is clean with no dust or whatever on them (including boots, bridle, saddle, etc)
5. Wait until its almost time for my classes
6. Tack up my horse
7. Get dressed, beautified, etc
8. Check over my horse (make sure girth is tight, no shavings in his tail, mane or body, and make sure he's not dirty)
9. Put my bridle on
10. Wipe off my boots
11. Get on!

Oh and always check to make sure my horse is sound and happy, and I always make sure I went to the bathroom and drank water and had some food:lol:

RedTree 02-17-2011 03:00 AM

Well I havn't been to a proper show but going to one on the 26th :D
This is my plan.

Going to wash his mane and tail Wednesday, I have been told have to atleast wash it 3 days before other wise it's to slippery to braid.

Wash him on friday arvo
Plait up mane and tail I think, will hopefully have a skinny hood by then.

Take all my gear home Friday day, clean, wash everything that is needed.

Wake up nice and early Sat, give him his brekkie load car up

Put him on float remembering makeup will probably still have skinny hood on

At show, take skinny off check plaits

I don't know if I would put makeup on now or wait till closer to my event depends when it is I guess
That goes for hoofs as well

Warm up get in my gear and show :D

Kayty 02-18-2011 04:57 AM

I compete in dressage, so I don't need my horses presented quite as 'beautifully' as for hacking, but I'm still fussy and want them to look their best.

I try to keep my horses as clean as possible at all times. So they are always rugged, I wash my cotton rugs every week, and they are always hosed/sponged off after they sweat so that their coats do not get bleached/stained.
Usually they wear tail bags 24/7 as well. I also make pulling the mane part of my routine, so once a week I give their manes a tidy up, then it's not a huge job every time I have to plait.

Before the show, I will work the horse either under saddle or on the lunge, just to build a bit of a sweat up. I find they wash up better when they're sweating a little and their pores are open.
Then I'll wash with a specific colour shampoo, leave to soak for 10 minutes, rinse, then condition and leave to soak again before rinsing. Scrape and towel dry, then put a light flag rug on until totally dry, before putting a cotton or woollen rug on and whatever other rugs are necessary depending on the weather.

The night before the show I will only plait if I'm riding early - otherwise will do it in the morning. I know if I go to bed with my hair in a tight braid I get a head ache, and I want as little tension in my horses as possible for their tests.
I don't roll my plaits the night before, just plait them down and put a skinny hood on the horse to keep them nice and flat. I'll trim where I need to (bridle path, fetlocks, square the tail etc.) and then go and clean my gear.

Once my horse and gear is clean, I pack the car and float so that all I have to do in the morning is roll my plaits, do a couple of spot cleans on the horse, put float boots on and head off.

RedTree 02-18-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 932441)
I don't roll my plaits the night before, just plait them down and put a skinny hood on the horse to keep them nice and flat. I'll trim where I need to (bridle path, fetlocks, square the tail etc.) and then go and clean my gear.

Thats actually a good idea, I might do that for my show as it only takes 5 mins to roll the plaits :-)