The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Boarding with stallions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/boarding-stallions-78580/)

phoenix heartbeat 02-14-2011 09:49 PM

Boarding with stallions

Hey guys. I dont allow boarders unless their horses are in training with us (which I guess makes our place a boarding facility in a way lol) We currently stand 5 studs. They have their own little 6 stall barn and are separated from where my clients horses are kept. My question is for those of you who board your horses. Are you comfortable keeping your horses at a stable who allows stallions?

Ive herd some pretty bad story's from other BO's who have opted out of allowing stallions due to some pretty bad incidents that have happens with a clients stallion and another horse, or another client.

I board two of my horses currently at a place that dosnt allow stallions but I dont mind there being studs on the property just as long as they arent "crazy" (horse and owner ;)

So what's your opions?

Poseidon 02-15-2011 01:11 AM

My current barn doesn't have any stallions..actually there's only 3 geldings out of 12 horses. Before I moved her due to her health problems, she was at a place that stood two stallions.

I was kind of annoyed by it because they were kept in kind of roundpen-like paddocks that were right next to the road leading away, so I if I wanted to go riding out, I would have to ride my mare by them. They would whinny and snort and just be obnoxious. Abby was spooked by it often.

That was my only issue with it, really.. I would have been impressed if one had gotten out and gotten to the mares because there were so many gates and fences separating them. I would have been very upset if that did happen though and my mare was bred because one of them was one of the fugliest stallions I've ever seen and I am not sure why they bred him..

But I didn't really have an awful experience with stallions..just a little annoyed.

TKButtermilk 02-15-2011 12:20 PM

The place I now board at (used to have my horses at home) has an Arabian stallion. I was NOT informed of this before I moved my mare there. I found out because he got out! Lovely. I wasn't there, I was just told about it. I knew there were two Arabs and I just assumed(and was right) that they were left over from the owners old breeding buisness. I never even thought of one being a stallion. He's 31 and doesn't do anything, is separate from everyone (unless someone forgets to properly latch a gate..) and you'd never know. I personally would not choose to board there had I known before I moved there that that was the case, honestly. I think it should absolutely be disclosed immediately that there is a stallion on the property. Then again I wasn't informed of the helmet rule till I went to ride either.
Posted via Mobile Device

FoxyRoxy1507 02-15-2011 01:04 PM

at one of the facilities i used to run was a breeding facility, we had including myself about 4 or 5 boarders, 3 stallions and the rest of the 20 horses were mares or fillies.

the stallions i worked with were trained correctly from the beginning and i kept up with their training as well, they were kept in the same barn with the mares and we never had problems, w all the stallions unless u looked u would have thought they were geldings.

ive never had a problem w it as long as the stallions had manners and were handled by knowledgeable people..

mls 02-15-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyRoxy1507 (Post 929437)
ive never had a problem w it as long as the stallions had manners and were handled by knowledgeable people..

DING DING DING.

This is the reason we do not board or stand a stallion. Too many people THINK they know a whole lot more than they do.

They are a liability and the insurance rates reflect that.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-15-2011 02:20 PM

No way. One of the first questions I ask is "Do you board stallions" It's a deal breaker.

My facility even made a rule that pregnant mares aren't allowed, either, because we had a problem with people waiting too long to geld their colts. Good riddance.

gypsygirl 02-15-2011 02:22 PM

i would depending on the barn. the place i board at now does not allow stallion because the barn owner is not a horse person and we dont have good enough fences.

mooney 02-15-2011 09:01 PM

I can't and wouldn't board at a place that has stallions near or on the property, Mooney is a huge flirt in season and just the way she acts around geldings I can imagen what she would do with a stallion around. If the stallion wasn't temped to jump the fence Mooney would more than happily come to him. And she in no way needs to have a foal!

On the other hand I have worked at a place that had up to four stallions at one time, I refused to work with them but two, because they didn't behave and were down right dangerous to work with. The other two I was more than happy to saddle or harness and work. Than again alot of their horses were dangerous to handle without a stud chain!!

Arksly 02-15-2011 09:26 PM

I think it all depends on the facilities and the people there. I have, in the past, boarded at a facility with a stallion. The stallion was in the main barn, but in an special "stallion" stall, was in a special paddock (probably two to three feet higher than all of the other paddocks) that was very sturdy. At my current barn, I would be a little leery if a stallion was brought in because I don't trust the fences.

But as long as there are extra precautions to make sure that the stallion(s) don't/doesn't get out and are handled properly, I don't see a problem with it.

AlexS 02-16-2011 12:48 AM

I can't really answer your question without knowing more about your facilities and fencing and staff abilities (if you have them).