The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   new groundwork exersices?? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/new-groundwork-exersices-78608/)

Marlea Warlea 02-15-2011 03:27 AM

new groundwork exersices??

Howdy folks!!
Just wondering about teaching my pony new ground work exercises
we've already done...
. backing up
.lunging and teaching to stop on command
. 'the game' walking and when you stop, she stops
. throwing the lead rope over her head (gains trust)
. few other things but can't remember :-)
please help as these are just getting old and boring :wink:
anything else to teach and learn???

christopher 02-15-2011 04:00 AM

the old hindquarter yield is a pretty good one. you can do it as parelli does it by holding the lead with just enough slack in it so that the horse is unable to jump forward and kick easily, leaning down and "chasing" their rump around tapping it with a stick of some sort if need be.

for this particular excersize i do either that or just a subtle arm action in the direction of their rump, followed by "chasing" with a stick if need be. same safety precautions by holding the lead in a safe manner, initially anyway, the idea is to get it to where you don't need to have a leadrope/halter on to do it, just a lean or subtle point and they yield it.

christopher 02-15-2011 04:02 AM

also try desensitizing your horse to as many strange and weird objects you can find. like plastic bags, boxes, gym balls, tarps etc.

helps gain trust just like throwing the rope over the head. and ultimately the horse becomes safer to ride because it causes the horse to become confident. which is how you make a "bombproof" horse

Marlea Warlea 02-15-2011 04:17 AM

thanx, marlea is already pretty much bombproof though :)
Plastic bags, sirons,... nothing scares her :)

christopher 02-15-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlea Warlea (Post 929188)
thanx, marlea is already pretty much bombproof though :)
Plastic bags, sirons,... nothing scares her :)

pretty lucky then! :)

but bigger plastic bags and louder sirens would build more trust. the purpose isn't just to desensitize the horse to things that could possibly cause dangerous situations while riding, but if you do it in such a way that you are the one directly contributing to the thing your trying to desensitize your horse too, the horse can find a real comfort in your presense when you aren't flapping the plastic bags around.

(that said, if done incorrectly it can also destroy all trust, so maybe just try the normal "desensitize to strange objects" by leaving them in your horses favourite place in the pasture and when you turn them loose they'll find it and pretty much desensitize themselves to it)

CanyonCowboy 02-15-2011 12:25 PM

To me, the idea is "play" with the horse. I teach them to "walk old" (very slow steps with their heads very low); or work on sending through gates, gaps between barrels. Teach them to let you use them as a solid object going down steep inclines, then bring them forward, repeat to go down steep/slick trails. Back up and follow a single track trail. Back using the tail to direct. Lunge on slopes. Anything I can think of. If I can take my dog with me, I want to be able to ground lead my horse in the same situation.

Marlea Warlea 02-16-2011 04:57 AM

thanx :)
At the moment im teaching her to stand on a platform... did it first time :D
made the platform higher, didn't even hesitate, now im waiting for the rain to stop so i can ride her oto it :p

christopher 02-16-2011 05:14 AM

having her navigate lots of obstacles without breaking gait, become very very sensitive to lunging manouveres (VERY slight move of a lunge whip, or hand signals as i do), slide stops while lunging, canter departs while lunging etc.

also you mentioned something you called "the game", try to get her so good at that so that when you stand beside her, and take off in a sprint, she'll take off in a canter the same way as you, and when you come to a stop from a run she'll come to a sliding stop.

along with getting her even more desensitized to certain things, you should have lots of fun stuff to do.

the parelli's (probably all other "NH" clinicians also, but i'm unfamiliar with many others) give lots of good ground based stuff to practice (they also give lots of bad stuff, so be wary)

Marlea Warlea 02-17-2011 03:24 AM

thanx chris :)
it's been so wet the past few days and i haven't been out to her much :(
but i love her soooo much cause i call, and she nickers!! (thats the best part of owning a horse!!)
She'll gallop up to me and start licking my cheek.
She is the most amazing horse in the world, adn even when im sad she'll lick me all over, and u can't stay angry at her, gosh you should see her eyebrows!!!

christopher 02-17-2011 04:03 AM

not at all a problem. your horse sounds very charming :)