The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Could Our Equinox Pull a trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/could-our-equinox-pull-trailer-78669/)

Haylee 02-15-2011 11:13 PM

Could Our Equinox Pull a trailer?

I looked up in my moms manual that her car (once equipt) could pull up to 3000lbs. My horse weighs about 1500(i think...) and I was wondering how much a trailer weighs. I just hope that it is strong enough, any thoughts? It is a 2008 Chevy Equinox sport.

TurnNBurn625 02-15-2011 11:21 PM

if its a 2 horse bumper pull trailer it should pull it fine once its equipped, in good running shape and has a good hitch. just be sure that the trailer ball has a high rated weight (ex: 3,000lb. would be better than a 800lb. ball).

Haylee 02-15-2011 11:24 PM

Thank you so much!

Tabbi Kat 02-16-2011 12:29 AM

I drive a 2008 Chevy Equinox too. My fiance builds million dollar hot rods for a living and said I would run my SUV in the ground pulling a trailer and a horse. Yes, they're equipped to pull 3000lbs... Should you pull the max weight of 3000lbs? No, unless you want to start replacing certain things quickly.

TurnNBurn625 02-16-2011 09:18 AM

i wouldnt see problem with it if she pulled a trailer and horse short distances and every now and then, not all the time. maybe once a week if that. pulling a trailer is hard on any vehicle. and it will do some wear and tear, because pulling a trailer is hard on a transmission especially in a state like tennessee where there are many hills to climb.

Tabbi Kat 02-16-2011 09:31 AM

I live in the Sierra Mountains and know for a fact that the Equinox could not climb the hills out here with a trailer in tow. Lol my Equinox can barely make the climb up my driveway but that is a different story. I didn't even realize that she lived in Kansas until just now and it's pretty flat out there. I, personally, wouldn't attempt to pull a horse with a tiny little Equinox, just sayin.

Haylee 02-16-2011 11:28 AM

I just need to get him from the stable to 4-h and an occasional show now and then, so once a week or so would be all. Our equinox is a 6-cylinder and is pretty hardy. ( a whole lot stronger than my whimpy chevy hhr) Thank you for the info guys!

farmpony84 02-16-2011 12:19 PM

The equinox is my dream car. I've been waiting to buy one for 2 years now. I used to pull my old two horse bumper pull w/ my dads 4 cylinder ford ranger. I never had an issue. She whined a little going up hill but it worked fine. I wouldn't load the trailer down with 2 horses though, although I have donet hat with the old ford ranger also.

Tabbi Kat 02-16-2011 01:53 PM

Lol you want my Equinox? I don't like it because it doesn't have enough power for me anymore. It was a great SUV when I was living in Texas and the land was nice and flat but out here I need something with more get up and go than the little v6 this runs. I ended up buying a F350 super duty diesel to pull with and use the Equinox to drive to the city.

My Beau 02-17-2011 06:54 AM

I have a 2007 Equinox (which I don't like) and it'll be a cold day in hell when I pull a trailer/horses with it. It's not nearly large enough to pull and I'd worry about stopping power as well. The smallest Chevy model I would ever pull with is a Tahoe... and I'd still be more comfortable with something a bit bigger than that. Heck, we pull with a Suburban right now and going up large hills, sometimes THAT feels weak.

I wouldn't do it... too much chance for something to go wrong, even pulling short distances.