The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My naughty naughty Pony mare. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-naughty-naughty-pony-mare-7868/)

PaintPonylover 04-13-2008 04:03 PM

My naughty naughty Pony mare.

I have a 6 year old Pony mare and the problem is, she all of a sudden has trouble with me mounting, I had the vet take a look at her and he pronounced her as sound. She has never done this before and no matter how hard I try, she just keeps doing this. She doesn't have any problems with tacking up either.

Another problem, is she doesn't listen to any of the bits I have. I have to pull back really hard to get her to stop, sometimes she won't even stop at all. She Turns okay with a little aid from a crop, but its still really difficult to get her to respond to pretty much any commands with the bit. I have tried a snaffle and a curb bit but none of them can get her to respond correctly, do I need a harsher bit or a softer bit? Anyone have some suggestions?

daroczy 04-13-2008 04:50 PM

Re: My naughty naughty Pony mare.

[/quote]
Another problem, is she doesn't listen to any of the bits I have. I have tried a snaffle and a curb bit but none of them can get her to respond correctly, do I need a harsher bit or a softer bit? Anyone have some suggestions?[/quote]

What do you mean "she doesn't listen"? Can't you stop her? Can't you turn her? What is exactly she does not do? I think you should write the problem more exatly, forum readers will sure help you.

brittx6x6 04-13-2008 08:08 PM

Sounds like you have run into the WONDERFUL PONY ATTITUDE! No matter what every pony has that stubborn attitude. I train alot of ponies and most of them come to us with the problem of taking the bit and running, and also not being patient. This is the middle stage of the "pony attitude" for me ha ha ha. It sounds like your pony is right there.

Normally your pony is probably loved on and spoiled (i spoil my girls too). She/He is probably used to getting what they want. Now they are trying to push their limits. You need to stay firm. When you pony starts to walk away when you get on stop what your doing. grap the rein across from your (right side) make the head turn that way and make them stand. This confuses them because you are on the left side, but yet something is pulling them from the right. Then mount agian keep doing this till they stand still. Once you get on give them a big pat for standing sitll even though it took you probably a long time to get on.

For the wonderful taking the bit and running part. Its not as simple. It sounds like your pony may have a hard mouth if you have gone through bits. First I want to ask if you ride with a standing or running martingale. If you do keep it on. If you don't I would reccomend trying one. This gives you more control of the pony's head. It sounds like a full cheeck would help you with the turning but it may not be enough bit. Have you ever tried a slow twist full cheeck. This is not a horrible bit becuase it has a twist, it just aids in the help of the pony listening. Also the full cheeck makes the pony turn its whole head to turn so this will help with turning. If your pony puts her head down when she trys to keep going I would recommend a 3 ring/elevator bit. This has 3 rings (like the name) the bottom is the harshest the middle is the in between and the top is just like a snaffle. This should help you in stopping and probably turning.

So in the end I would try a 3 ring and see what happens.

Sorry for such a long response, but I know alot about what you are dealing with.

Let us know what happens :D and good luck

daroczy 04-15-2008 12:32 PM

I found that harder bits usually don't help with hard mouthed horses. We tried it with our akhal tekes and their mouth became more and more harder, at the end it looked like they had no bit in their mouth. Nor with the 3 ring and of course with martingal. No effect. They still run away - under the bit.

But our trainer said that if your horse don't understand what you want by the bit, you have to try another way to tell her what you want. So you may try this method:
When the horse starts a fast galopp instead of a slow canter, try to stop by the bit for once. If she does not get back to the asked gait, suddenly fall into their back with your bottom. Yes, it is a little bit painful for her, but you get two advantages by this:
1. You make her paying attention to you. Falling into her back means. "Hey, I've told you something recently and you did not pay attention!"
2. You get her out from the rythm of the fast gallopp, this will be uncomfortable for her. She will surprised and if the bit is on her teeth, she will drop it. If you fall into her back more times she will try to move in a less uncomfortable way, probably she will get back to canter or to trot.

But beware of bucking, they sometimes buck because of the sudden impulse coming from the rider on their backside, don't take care, follow it until she slows back. But still hold the reins and sometimes give her slowing orders with it.

She will learn after a few times that if she wants to avoid this uncomfotable feeling, she has to take care of the informations coming from the bit.

Britt 04-15-2008 01:36 PM

Why don't you try a hackamore for your pony? My mare used to hate bits, she'd not listen at all and wouldn't stop, but once I cwitched her to a hackamore, her attitude had a complete turn-a-round.

brittx6x6 04-15-2008 05:01 PM

O yeah I forgot about hackamores! I agree with britt if you can't find a bit to work then try a hackamore! One of my horses goes in a hackamore and I completely forgot about them!

Good idea Britt ha ha ha we have the same name :D

Sunkissed28f 04-16-2008 07:31 PM

You have the same name and we are from the same state. ;)
And only 2 hours away from the looks of it Britt.
Another weird fact I am buying my new trail horse from a farm right down the way from you. Small world!!

I am going to quote myself from another topic:

Quote:

This reminds me of a training episode I watched on tv last night.

I won't say who it was....to keep it neutral.
I have used a method like this and it does work.

Anyway.....this "person" said to work with your horse on the ground before you ever get in the saddle. They said to train your horse to do bends. Pull back gently on the rein/lead rope asking your horse to bend his head to that side. Bend the horse's head around constantly to the left and to the right from the ground. Bends that resulted with the horses nose touching the stirrup. The horses poll must stay lower than their withers. That a horse raising its head has more control. Keep them bent for a few minutes and once a horse started to give a little slack in the lead rope/rein then immediately let go and praise them then bend them again and wait for the slack until the horse was supple and easy to bend.

If the horse moves away or in circles...follow them for however long it takes.

This is for training in the saddle. While in the saddle do the same bends. Pulling gently back on the left rein asking the horse to bend down and touch its nose to your boot or stirrup and vice versa. Doing this several times and waiting for the horse to give some slack in the rein. Eventually you want it to be a fluid easy movement where the horse does it at the slightest pressure from you.

This is effective in learning one rein stops and corrections. If your horse tries to run away while you are in the saddle or tries to rear or buck you can immediately execute a bend/one rein stop and this throws the horse off balance, causing them to move their rear end/crossing the hind legs and stopping the offending action.
Usually people pull back on the reins and push their feet forward and nothing happens or it takes awhile. Once a horse gets their head up your playing tug of war with a 1,000lbs or more. This also results in the horse getting hard in the mouth and ignoring rein commands when they try to take the lead or bolt or when they spook.

But you must execute the one rein command as soon as they start the offending action or it may be too late to do anything or can result in the horse being thrown farther off balance then what is needed.