The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   jumping boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/jumping-boots-78709/)

Horsequeen08 02-16-2011 02:25 PM

jumping boots

I'm just starting my horse in hunter, and I'm curious as to what you think is the best type and brand of boots to use for jumping. I have seen open front boots, galloping boots, and once I saw just polo wraps. I also know there are so many different brands out there, I'd like to have some recommendations of what I should buy for my horse-hopefully something that's reasonably priced.

MIEventer 02-16-2011 07:54 PM

Any boot will work - it just depends on your "wants/needs".

Open Front Boots are meant for horses who have lazy legs over fences. So if they are to knock a pole, they'll feel it and hopefully decide to not let their legs hang over the next fence.

If your horse is a clean jumper, then I wouldn't worry about open fronts, and I would look to a nice splint/brushing boot.

Like these:

Dover Saddlery | All Sport Horse Boots .

Dover Saddlery | Woof All-Purpose Horse Boots.

etc, etc.

equineeventer3390 02-16-2011 10:12 PM

Woof boots are the best!! 2nd link MI [posted.

VelvetsAB 02-16-2011 10:50 PM

I have open fronts, and I think they are Eskadron.

ETA: Thank you Eliz for providing the right name! And posting something actually similar to what I have. Hahaha

Eliz 02-16-2011 10:53 PM

My lesson horse has these, they are my favorite boot.
Dover Saddlery | Eskadron FlexiSoft Open-Front Horse Boots .

LeosAmericanShadow 02-16-2011 10:56 PM

i have always used eskadron on my horsies, easy to put on, easy to clean.

luvs2ride1979 02-17-2011 07:46 PM

I don't use boots for arena jumping. As long as you properly condition your horse, don't over jump, don't just obstables too big for your horse, and only jump on good footing, you won't need boots for protection. If your horse interferes normally (knocks the legs and/or feet together), then you will need boots to protect for that, but you may want to re-think jumping altogether...

If you're riding cross contry, simple galloping boots are plenty to protect accidental knocks over solid fences. Some bells or overreach boots can be beneficial if you'll be riding on ground that is slick or churned up. I like Woof boots as far as brand goes. They're very sturdy and long-wearing.

equiniphile 02-17-2011 07:59 PM

I like my Pro Choice SMB elites.