The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Would you pay more for color? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/would-you-pay-more-color-78716/)

Paint Mom 02-16-2011 02:05 PM

Would you pay more for color?

How much more have you paid/would you pay?

myhorsesonador 02-16-2011 02:06 PM

I wouldn't pay more. You can't ride color.

Speed Racer 02-16-2011 02:08 PM

All things being equal to a non-colored horse concerning conformation, temperament, soundness, and level of training? Maybe, but not a heck of a lot more. Color is just a bonus, and should always be the last consideration when looking at a horse.

VelvetsAB 02-16-2011 02:12 PM

If I had a choice between two horses and the only difference was colour, then I might pick the splashier horse....

BUT...since I hope to eventually show a lot more, if the horse had a lot of white, I might go with the non-coloured horse, as they would require less work to be sparkly clean for the show ring.

Since they are the same, except for colour, they really shouldnt be priced differently.

smrobs 02-16-2011 02:12 PM

I agree with SR. If I was looking at 2 horses that were both very similar in ability, temperament, training, confo, and bloodlines but one was buckskin and one was sorrel, I would pay a little more for the buckskin, simply because it would likely be priced a bit higher.

faye 02-16-2011 02:34 PM

Depends, I have paid more for my coloured boy then I would for a similar one without colour but I wouldnt have unless he was top quality to start with.

Piaffe 02-16-2011 04:03 PM

Yup :) I would!

Paint Mom 02-16-2011 04:19 PM

^^Glad I'm not the only one!! lol^^

Speed Racer 02-16-2011 04:22 PM

So tell me Piaffe and Paint Mom, was color the first consideration for you when looking for a horse? I hope not, because otherwise no wonder there are so many color breeders who don't care about conformation, soundness, or temperament. As long as they have people putting color before substance, they'll always have someone who will buy their train wrecks.

sarahver 02-16-2011 04:30 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I always check out the progeny from True Colours Farm.

The day is coming when I will be working full time again and will have more money to play with. If in my search I come across two horses that are equal in conformation, temperament and overall health but one is a chestnut and one is a buckskin, I'll probably go with the buckskin, just for something different. I'd pay extra too.

Ashamed to admit it but colour is flashy to me. Would never choose colour to the exclusion of all the important characteristics that I look for but hell, if presented with a choice and everything else was equal, yep, count me in.