The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Cutting Bred Horses Barrel Racing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/cutting-bred-horses-barrel-racing-78748/)

AQHA 02-16-2011 11:57 PM

Cutting Bred Horses Barrel Racing?

Whats your opinion on this?

smrobs 02-17-2011 12:27 AM

I think if they have the willingness, speed, and training necessary, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Just because they are from cutting lines, doesn't mean that they have to be cutting horses.

DrumRunner 02-17-2011 12:32 AM

good!..my gelding has Doc Bar, Doc's Hickory, and Son of a Doc on his papers and He did really well for me for years before I retired him.. I think they make excellent barrel horses. Alot of them can be catty, quick on their feet, and are bred to have alot of the movements that barrel horses have..sittin hard for example..
This is his pedigree..I wish he was a mare lol..he would have some really nice babies with his bloodlines...

Papa Hickory Doc Quarter Horse

My mare is reining and TB bloodlines..Reminic is her grandsire and she loves her some barrels..she also has Spellcaster and goes back to Bold Ruler on her 5th generation..
and Nikki's pedigree..

Nu Kinda Nic Quarter Horse

Paint Mom 02-17-2011 11:02 AM

The can certainly get down on their hindquarters for the turns, but has anyone noticed if they have any speed?

Another question (sorry AQHA I took over:)). If you took a proven cutting producer and crossed it with a proven race producer. Would you get that mix of speed and cutting horse athletic ability? Just a question - I'm not too into breeding like that!

nrhareiner 02-17-2011 11:35 AM

I have seen quite a few cutting running crosses what do very very well in speed events. I had quite a few barrel mares who came in to be bred to my Doc O'Lena stallion. Turned out to be some very nice barrel horses.

DrumRunner 02-17-2011 12:28 PM

I think it's a great idea..I've seen cutting and running bred horses mix very well. I also think it depends on Who who you breed to. If you take a barrel horse and breed to a cutting horse you would want to look for good traits from both horses. If you pick two good horses you can count on having speed.

mls 02-17-2011 12:46 PM

Why not? Just because a horse is bred from lines that are primarily one discipline or another does not mean the horse has the heart to do the job it was bred for. Or in the case of cutting, the owner may well not have the funds to have the horse trained and campaigned for cutting so has elected to try other events that are not so spendy!

nrhareiner 02-17-2011 12:52 PM

It is not even so much that the horse may not have the hart for cutting or the owner does not have the funds.

Cutting and even reining bred horses bring something that is needed to the equation. They bring the rate hunt and turn which is very very important to being a good speed event horse. You cross that with some speed and you can very well get the best of both worlds.

Tennessee 02-17-2011 01:02 PM

I do it! :D Or at least I did until High Five had an accident and now we can't show anymore. He's fast and can turn his hind like none other. haha.

I think it's a great idea.

mls 02-17-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 931711)
It is not even so much that the horse may not have the hart for cutting or the owner does not have the funds.

Sorry.

I was merely offering my personal experience of why our cutting bred and futurity eligible offspring are not in the cutting pen.