The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Contests (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-contests/)
-   -   What are some ways of slowing a lope down. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-contests/what-some-ways-slowing-lope-down-78788/)

iluvmoocow 02-17-2011 04:06 PM

What are some ways of slowing a lope down.

Hi, Im currntly training a WP mare to lope slowly....she is slowly slowing down..lol. I wanted some ideas and training tips on maybe speeding the process up. Right now when i lope her....if she speeds up i check her and if she slows down i give her head. PLZZZZZZ help. I have a county qualifier next weekand.
Please and Thankyou
Crystal:D

equiniphile 02-17-2011 04:08 PM

The biggest problem people have is being too active in the saddle. Lock down your hips and do not give the horse extra energy.

iluvmoocow 02-17-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 931960)
The biggest problem people have is being too active in the saddle. Lock down your hips and do not give the horse extra energy.

I dont give really any energy at all. She is very relaxed. When i lope i make sure she is balenced and everything.......I like that you said to lock yur hips. Alot of people forget that!:) Thankyou:-)

Plains Drifter 02-17-2011 04:45 PM

One of the best ways to slow down the lope, is to lope. It's simple. Let her lope. Then when she feels like she is wanting to slow down and trot...make her lope some more. Continue this and she will soon learn to regulate her gaits.

TheLovedOne 02-17-2011 05:00 PM

You could also try to do lots of transitions. I don't know much about WP (or it was many years ago) but I know that going walk-canter-walk halt-canter-halt gets a pretty good result too. I try to mix it up and make it fun and meaningful for them which helps. I seem to remember that loping and periodically picking the rein up was something I was taught. Does anyone do that?