The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Tb lineage (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/tb-lineage-78825/)

trIplEcrOwngIrl 02-18-2011 12:17 PM

Tb lineage

CJ82Sky had a good idea to start a thread on Throroughbred lineage and studs. So, I made one! :D So here's a horse just to start it off

Vision and Verse(By Storm Cat, out of Bunting)

He also happens to be my horse's sire :D. So what do you guys think of him? Feel free to add others!

equiniphile 02-18-2011 12:31 PM

Molly's Cat's grandsire is Storm Cat, she is out of Rachel Allyn and by Tomorrow's Cat. She also has Personal Flag, Northern Dancer, Secretariat (Bold Ruler x Somethingroyal), and Damascus.
Free 5-Cross Thoroughbred Pedigrees from equineline.com - Thoroughbred Pedigree now with Free Interactive Nicking

Excel is out of Vienna Dawn and by Diligence. Mr Prospector, Raise a Native, Gold Digger, Buckpasser, Marshua, Native Dancer, Nashua, Princequillo. He has a lot of linebreeding to these names.
Free 5-Cross Thoroughbred Pedigrees from equineline.com - Thoroughbred Pedigree now with Free Interactive Nicking

Sultan's Concubine is a mare we had a long time ago, out of Our Raiser and by Island Sultan, also has Bold Ruler and Bold Ruler's What a Pleasure, Princequillo, Count Fleet, Man o' War, Man o' War's War Siren, and Man o' war's War Siren.

CJ82Sky 02-18-2011 12:38 PM

nice lines! v & v is a classic miler - every time they tried him at anything over a mile he hit the board but not quite enough to be first. good stamina for a storm cat kid, and def that miler like storm cat likes to throw.

storm cat is a little over-compact for my liking but known for milers which matches his confo (IF i remember correctly). i'm guessing your horse has a short back, slightly thick neck, and small-ish head (not small but broader forehead with tapered nose that is almost QH-ish). but hey i could be wrong lol!

he's certainly athletic though not as much stamina as i like to see but the secretariat damsire in there helps quite a bit, and the crimson satan will add some fire. not a huge fan of crimson spirit for no reason other than i pefer his offspring harvard man instead who is out of rich reserve (swaps daughter - v. nice imo) and tends to throw height, leggy, and dark (personal weaknesses of mine) coupled with a thicker horse like storm cat imo would have produced more bone. anyway back to lines here.... bolero rose - crimson saint's damsire is weaker imo despite the bolero influence and better racers, i like the swaps athleticism better. anyway that can be argued as a pro or con so it's really just personal preference.

i do like the damascus > private account on the damsire side for some levelheadedness and a nice long sweeping gait. this gave your horse (again guessing) some more leg length and helped improve neck most likely, but could have also added some more slightly upright pasterns. i also like the buckpasser with damascus as that tends to make a nice tempered horse and hoist the flag and tom fool add some old school quality in there too.

so what does your horse look like based on my guesses?
i'm thinking he's good for an hour of work but after that will fatigue pretty rapidly. yes? (of course depending on fitness haha)

CJ82Sky 02-18-2011 12:51 PM

i always try to look at closer lines - going back nearly every TB has bold ruler, secretariat, northern dancer, or someone similar in there. damascus and buckpasser were also bred to death lol.

i find unless you are looking for a broodmare, secretariat lines mean far less to me than seeing his dam somethingroyal and/or princequillo crossed with something for a more athletic performer. don't get me wrong secretariat had some great babies but again was so overbred that the presence of his name alone doesn't mean anything to me when looking at pedigrees.

i like to look at the first two generations for what the horse will really be like to me and then look for known personality traits and/or athleticism and potential disciplines when i go a little farther back as that tends to be more general and of course the farther back you go the less influence it has.

i NEED to get my friend morgan in here - her and i go back and forth talking tb lines all day!!!

apachiedragon 02-18-2011 12:57 PM

Okay CJ82Sky, tell me about Danzig. I've never been very into researching bloodlines. I mainly just look at a horse for their structure, and not really looked into their history too much, but those with Danzig that I've come across have had such pretty build. Just wondered if any have really excelled at anything outside of racing.

trIplEcrOwngIrl 02-18-2011 12:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Wow, thanks CJ that is really detailed! And awsome! Here is his 5X pedigree(it's at the very bottom) and a picture(or maybe a couple of pix, lol!) :)

CJ82Sky 02-18-2011 01:04 PM

haha my description was pretty accurate sweet!!!!
it's kinda a crapshoot at that (just like breeding) to try to guess based on lines alone but love when i am right :D

here's a TB i like despite true lack of racing history - soundness and longevity -
Mr Leader Horse Pedigree

something else most people looking at race history don't consider is that most studs run for only a few years and are retired to stud & pasture before every proving longevity and soundness. here's a horse that lived to 33 w/o issue which is rare to begin with and unheard of as a TB. but to me that's a big win in any lines. (he's also a hail to reason offspring which is the sire of halo who i love).

CJ82Sky 02-18-2011 01:08 PM

gotta get some work done but will come back re: danzig!

Carleen 02-18-2011 02:24 PM

CJ82Sky, I'd love to know what you think of my guy's lines. Hopefully, the link below works.

Backflash Pedigree

DubyaS6 02-18-2011 03:37 PM

Oooh oooh me too!

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/z...naPedigree.jpg