The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   volunteering for a horse rescue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/volunteering-horse-rescue-78828/)

JustPaint 02-18-2011 01:15 PM

volunteering for a horse rescue

So lately, I've been playing with the idea of getting invovled with horseback riding again. However my confidence in the saddle and on the ground is quite low. Anyway I asked a trainer that I knew in the area if I could come and watch them work horses since she works for a rescue. She said I was more than welcome to watch and she even offered the notion for me to volunteer.

Do you think this is a good idea to raise confidence around horses in general?

kitten_Val 02-18-2011 02:29 PM

I think it will give you lots of experience not just in handing a horse, but how to deal with health issues, every day maintenance, etc. And if you are lucky enough they may let you work or ride horses too. Although it depends on rescue. I helped out in one and in return I could work with any horse I like (although I wasn't interested in riding as I have 2 of my own). However in other one you had to work out 20 or 40 hours cleaning stalls and washing buckets before you were allowed to work with horses.

CJ82Sky 02-18-2011 04:27 PM

come volunteer with me!!! lol jk we always need volunteers though.

it sounds like a great idea. i know i try to answer questions and encourage volunteers to watch lessons and training sessions as well. i think it's a great way to learn more in a hands on manner. enjoy!

kitten_Val 02-18-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ82Sky (Post 932926)
come volunteer with me!!! lol jk we always need volunteers though.

Bahahahaha! I agree though many trainers substitute lessons for work in barn. So that could be a way to go too if you won't like the rescue.