The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Devoucoux Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/devoucoux-saddles-78880/)

jess522 02-18-2011 11:36 PM

Devoucoux Saddles

Hey guys, for college I need to purchase a high quality french saddle for the jumping program I'll be entering. I have been looking at the Devoucoux saddles, but there are several that are used for jumping. I can't decide if the Biarritz, Oldara or Socoa is better and the website doesn't really give very much info. I need a close contact jumping saddle and all of these seem to have this description but I just can't determine the best.

upnover 02-24-2011 06:42 PM

There isn't really a "best" within the models, just whichever will be most comfortable for you and put you in the best position.
I've ridden in a Socoa and Biarritz and loved them both. Looking at the website it looks like the Biaritz has a wide half deep seat whereas the Socoa has a narrow half deep seat. I've never sat in an Oldara but looking at the picture it looks like it has a pretty forward flap, but that might be a customizable option. It also says it has a wide flat seat. Personally, I'd call the Devoucoux rep in your area and discuss all of these with them. If you can get to a show where they have a stand they'll have saddles you can sit in and try out.

jess522 02-24-2011 10:51 PM

Unfortunately there isn't a sales rep in my area. Most people where I live have never even heard of the brand =p. I guess I'll just have to talk to my college counselor to see if she can help me decide. Thanks

CJ82Sky 02-24-2011 10:58 PM

also be cautious in getting a custom saddle when you don't have a specific horse in mind. i prefer my bates (i have several) because i can change the gullet and the cair panels won't conform to any one horse i ride. a custom is meant to conform to one horse and not intended ideally to be used on many

dev's are amazing (personally i prefer cwd as i have some of their tack not a saddle though) but again am wary of a custom for more than one horse on a regular basis.

jess522 07-19-2011 10:24 PM

The University I am going to is kind of picky on types of saddle. Unfortunately Bates is not listed on their recommended saddles page. They recommend Antarès, Devoucoux, Butet or PJ.

ErikaLynn 07-20-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess522 (Post 1103694)
The University I am going to is kind of picky on types of saddle. Unfortunately Bates is not listed on their recommended saddles page. They recommend Antarès, Devoucoux, Butet or PJ.

They give you list of recommended saddles? Really? What if a there is a student that can't afford a $3,000 saddle?

Zimpatico 07-20-2011 11:51 AM

Where on Earth are you going to school that they want you have one of these saddles? I'm teasing you, but it's kind of silly to buy a saddle like that when you don't have a horse to fit it to. You might want to look a new one of these by Antares... Spooner by Antares - Close Contact Saddles from SmartPak Equine They are not meant to be custom, and end up fitting a much wider range of horses. Good luck!

jess522 07-20-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikaLynn (Post 1104369)
They give you list of recommended saddles? Really? What if a there is a student that can't afford a $3,000 saddle?

You have to have a close contact jumping saddle that fits you properly and if you don't have one then you can't ride in the program. They recommend certain types, because they are really big on entering the show world as professional looking as possible.

jess522 07-20-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimpatico (Post 1104377)
Where on Earth are you going to school that they want you have one of these saddles? I'm teasing you, but it's kind of silly to buy a saddle like that when you don't have a horse to fit it to. You might want to look a new one of these by Antares... Spooner by Antares - Close Contact Saddles from SmartPak Equine They are not meant to be custom, and end up fitting a much wider range of horses. Good luck!

I have recently been looking at Antares and PJ, and for whatever reason I really like PJ saddles. I don't really like how far forward the flaps are on Antares saddles so I've been interested in PJ because the flaps are more to my preference.

ErikaLynn 07-21-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess522 (Post 1105140)
You have to have a close contact jumping saddle that fits you properly and if you don't have one then you can't ride in the program. They recommend certain types, because they are really big on entering the show world as professional looking as possible.

Oh ok...I see. So if you already have a close contact saddle that fits you, and isn't on the recommended list, you can use that?