The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   5 year old's horse LUNGING at people on groundwork. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/5-year-olds-horse-lunging-people-78896/)

TexasBlaze 02-19-2011 03:36 AM

5 year old's horse LUNGING at people on groundwork.

My nephew was given a 6 year old paint gelding a few months ago. Since they dont live near the horse and i do i have been charged with getting his groundwork in order for my 6 year old nephew. I had this gelding lunging well on both directions on command and today he decided that he's gonna stand still when i cue him and lunge at me to trample me when i pop him with the whip. OBVIOUSLY this horse isnt suited to my nephew and my family can see that right? WRONG. They dont care that the horse is attacking TRAINERS and would trample my nephew first chance he got. I know my nephew woulnt be messing with this horse personally for a long time but its DEFINITALLY not something a kids horse should be doing to ANYONE. I tried to talk all my family into trying to sell the horse but to them i never know what im talking about with horses. How can i train this horse out of this? I cannot sell him obviously so training his is the only chance i have to keep my nephew safe.

mbender 02-19-2011 05:49 AM

First off, a family member should never expect another family member to do any type of training. Unless you said you would help out. In which case, you opened yourself up to a whole heap of trouble. In any case, if this animal is not safe for you to handle, he sures hell aint safe for a child.

I am absolutely appalled that your family would not head to your warning on the severity of how this horse acts towards people. I also have a hard time believing that even though you said he was a danger or he threatens people that they wouldn't care and want you to work it out. That's asinine.

So here's my suggestion: refuse to do anything! Its not up to you to keep your nephew safe! It is his parents responsibility. You have a right to say no as much as the next person! With that said, I'm done. I hope this works out for everyone and you need to step out of the picture and worry about your own safety!
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 02-19-2011 06:51 AM

Quit.

Email them (so you'll have a record) with your concerns and explain that you cannot in good conscience continue and the hazard you think the horse will be.

What is your background as a trainer?

phantomhorse13 02-19-2011 09:17 AM

i would never trust a horse that behaved in such a way with a child. period.

i agree with the suggestions to notify your family of the issues and then be done with it. you need to be concerned about your own safety.

uppidycowgirl 02-19-2011 10:16 AM

How long have you been working with horses? Although this is not a horse for a child, or inexperienced person, it could be that he has figured out he can bully you and is doing just that... very unsafe and could get someone hurt as you well know... I personally would never get a untrained horse for a child, even if there are good intentions of getting it trained... they would have been better off buying a older horse that has been there and done that.. as for the horse... either give it back to the people who they got if from or tell them to take it to the nearest sale... do not work with it yourself.

damnedEvans 02-19-2011 10:31 AM

You should tell them again what you think. If they won't understand that the horse is dangerous for their child they will see this the first time when the horse will do something wrong to their child. It's not ideal to let them figure themselves that you've been right but if they won't listen that's life. You should refuse to train that horse if you think that he's not right for the boy. If you would continue to train him even if you think that he's unsafe for your nephew it is possible that the boy will injure himself dealing with that horse and his parents would think that you're responsible, that you didn't trained the horse well enough.

If you want to continue the training my advice will be to punish the horse when he comes to you in a threatening manner. You should use the whip in a more stronger way. When you see the horse coming to you in an aggressive way you can pop him on the nose with the whip and yell at him to not do this. Usually it works or at least I didn't saw a horse that didn't listened to this.

Marecare 02-19-2011 10:43 AM

Tell the family to just save themselves some time and money and just throw the kid off the roof of the house and get at all over with.

It is an absolute mystery why folks will buy a safety car seat,watch what their kid eats,care for their clothing,and worry about what school they go to and their future education....
but at the same time expose them to total danger when it comes to a horse.

People go to professionals to get their car worked on.
They want professionalism when it comes to other areas of transportation like flying,buses,subway or getting on an ocean liner.
They scrutinize the teachers it the local school where their kid goes but will not seek out a horse trainer....why?

TexasBlaze 02-19-2011 02:26 PM

They all seem to think im incompetent when it comes to horses even though im MUCH more knowledgable in the area of expertise. He is actually the first horse i have started groundwork on personally. He IS broken but was not broken through groundwork. Just someone jumped on him and went. However i got over a friend whom has trained HUNDREDS of horses that have never been ridden and he was doing the same thing to her. She agrees with me that he should NEVER be my nephews horse and that he's gonna end up killing him however we BOTH told my family and my brother, my nephews father seems to think he can train the disrespect out of the horse but even if the horse DOES respect my brother there is NO way he will respect my nephew! Ive already pretty much decided im not touching the horse again. Im too young to get killed being trampled by a disrespectful horse and im not getting blamed for it. Ive already told them all that ive warned them and told them after my nephew gets hurt or killed then MAYBE theyll start listening to me.

AppyLuva 02-19-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 933445)
First off, a family member should never expect another family member to do any type of training. Unless you said you would help out. In which case, you opened yourself up to a whole heap of trouble. In any case, if this animal is not safe for you to handle, he sures hell aint safe for a child.

I am absolutely appalled that your family would not head to your warning on the severity of how this horse acts towards people. I also have a hard time believing that even though you said he was a danger or he threatens people that they wouldn't care and want you to work it out. That's asinine.

So here's my suggestion: refuse to do anything! Its not up to you to keep your nephew safe! It is his parents responsibility. You have a right to say no as much as the next person! With that said, I'm done. I hope this works out for everyone and you need to step out of the picture and worry about your own safety!
Posted via Mobile Device

I would have to agree with this post 100%. It's ridiculous that the rest of your family would think that you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to horses and that they are so willing to ignore a warning like this. A horse that attacks people shouldn't be near children. Period.

TexasBlaze 02-19-2011 02:36 PM

My mother even WATCHED him try to trample me.. and you know what she did? Took the rope from me and put him back in the pasture RIGHT after he did it!!!! No correction at all!! She just said i needed to quit getting MAD at him. YEA! Lets reward him by attacking people and put him back! Thanks mom. And she STILL doesnt believe me.