The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   How do you pick the right breed of horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/how-do-you-pick-right-breed-78909/)

pawzaddict 02-19-2011 11:24 AM

How do you pick the right breed of horse?
 
I am very familiar with the dog world and there you are better off listing attributes you want in a dog, what your daily life consists of, and what you plan on doing with the dog to find a close match. What about horses? I want a horse, maybe 2 (If its better for them to have a companion) in the future and want to make the right decisions from the beginning. So how do I pick a horse? Are there better horses for beginners?

What do I want to do with the horse? Mainly just ride.

Thanks for any input :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MIEventer 02-19-2011 11:37 AM

It isn't about "breed" or "what breed is the better" because in every breed of horse that is out there, there are always bad eggs in the batch.

When I look for a horse, I look for attributes instead of breed. Yes, of course I have my favorite breed, but breed doesn't do me any good if that horse doesn't want to do what I want to do :)

The horse world, is the same as the dog world in this matter - list of what you want in a horse, and then when you know what you want, you'll have a much easier time finding the horse that matches your wants, needs and abilities.

Could end up being a Quarter Horse, A Thoroughbred, a Morgan, an Appendix and the list goes on and on and on.

There are many horses on the market, instead of looking at breed, look at what the horses qualities are, and then decide if that's what you want or not :)

pawzaddict 02-19-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 933555)
It isn't about "breed" or "what breed is the better" because in every breed of horse that is out there, there are always bad eggs in the batch.

When I look for a horse, I look for attributes instead of breed. Yes, of course I have my favorite breed, but breed doesn't do me any good if that horse doesn't want to do what I want to do :)

The horse world, is the same as the dog world in this matter - list of what you want in a horse, and then when you know what you want, you'll have a much easier time finding the horse that matches your wants, needs and abilities.

Could end up being a Quarter Horse, A Thoroughbred, a Morgan, an Appendix and the list goes on and on and on.

There are many horses on the market, instead of looking at breed, look at what the horses qualities are, and then decide if that's what you want or not :)

TY for your response. Yes you are correct, the list of attributes is more of a "well this breed tends to have these attributes" and then its finding an individual of that breed or a similar breed that matches what you want.

I am interested for sure on getting an adult horse that is pretty much already trained and broke (is that the word?) unless its easy to do so.

I know this may be a dumb question, but when you go to purchase a horse do you get to ride the horse? I think thats one of my biggest things, is being comfy on the horse.

MIEventer 02-19-2011 12:02 PM

Absolutely, you get to ride and look over the horse and ask as many questions as you want.

I highly recommend you bring someone who is knowledgeable about horses and who has a good eye.

Buyers Beware in this market - so make sure you have someone who knows what they are looking at and looking for.

Definately ride the horse, get a feel for the horse and definately talk about getting a thorough vet check done. Ask about doing a week trial as well, so that when the horse is at home, you can get a better feel for it.

pawzaddict 02-19-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 933575)
Absolutely, you get to ride and look over the horse and ask as many questions as you want.

I highly recommend you bring someone who is knowledgeable about horses and who has a good eye.

Buyers Beware in this market - so make sure you have someone who knows what they are looking at and looking for.

Definately ride the horse, get a feel for the horse and definately talk about getting a thorough vet check done. Ask about doing a week trial as well, so that when the horse is at home, you can get a better feel for it.

Awesome ty! My aunt owns 2 horses and my grandmother was around horses all her life so they will definitely be my local go to's :)

MIEventer 02-19-2011 12:12 PM

Make sure you bring them, one or the other, with you.

pawzaddict 02-19-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 933586)
Make sure you bring them, one or the other, with you.

Oh definitely. I would feel way too overwhelmed by myself (the bf would be no help picking one out lol). This is going to be some time out, we don't have property yet. I am hoping to get some hands on experience to refresh my skills as well as learn as much as I can.

horselver1979 02-19-2011 12:19 PM

I am with MIE.

My very first horse was as old as I was, 12. Been there done that kind of horse. She was even registered. Which I had no idea to do with that as I just wanted to ride. She was a qh but I would have been happy with a fugly one. :lol:

Even when I bought my others I went for the attributes.

Yes, take someone who is horse savvy with you and most importantly Have Fun!

pawzaddict 02-19-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horselver1979 (Post 933592)
I am with MIE.

My very first horse was as old as I was, 12. Been there done that kind of horse. She was even registered. Which I had no idea to do with that as I just wanted to ride. She was a qh but I would have been happy with a fugly one. :lol:

Even when I bought my others I went for the attributes.

Yes, take someone who is horse savvy with you and most importantly Have Fun!

ty :) I am having a blast so far!

gottatrot 02-19-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 933555)
It isn't about "breed" or "what breed is the better" because in every breed of horse that is out there, there are always bad eggs in the batch.

Actually, I think people don't look at the breed often enough in horses. It's so common to hear "this breed is versatile," about almost every breed and they will show you photos of the horse jumping or running barrels (I just saw this recently when looking at images of Percherons on the web). What they don't tell you is how highly unusual it is to find a horse of this breed that has the temperament to do these disciplines.

Sure, there are some horses in each breed that are different. But just like with dogs, if you want a dog to go running with you every day you wouldn't start looking at Bulldogs. And if you wanted a quiet house dog you wouldn't search through ads for Border Collies.

So first you need to decide what you want to do with your horse, and if you're not sure about that decide what kind of personality you want. Do you want a hyper horse that's always wanting to go, go, go? Then just like dogs, you're going to have to invest lots of time exercising and doing things to keep the horse's energy level in check. Just like with dogs, these horses are usually best for people with some experience. If you want a mellow, laid back horse, look for breeds that are known for that.

A few high-energy breeds (in general of course) are Arabs, Saddlebreds, Thoroughbreds, Morgans. Some breeds that are known for being more mellow and laid back are Quarter Horses, Paints, and other stock horse breeds.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0